Friday, July 31, 2009

Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with Nature's Variety Raw Instinct or Canidae dog food?

I recently switched from NUTRO Ultra brand dog food, to a mix of Nature's Variety- Raw Instinct (Grain free) and Canidae. I did this b/c Nutro had several of their canned foods on the Recall List, and I prefer not to do business with a Company that outsources to China, and uses chemicals to beef up their protein. Anyway, I tried to do research on the two new companies, and saw nothing but good stuff, but I want to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with them. (Natures Variety sounds awesome b/c it contains absolutely no grains, and Canidae b/c it is holistic/human grade)
My dog is eating it, so he likes it, but he's not really picky. He's had some runny poo, but nothing major.
Answers:
Nature's Variety (Raw Instinct) and Canidae are both good products. Both are sold at the doggie daycare where I work. Raw Instinct kibble has tapioca in it rather than grains (rice, oats, etc) and is basted with raw meat juices.
I'd had my 3 dachshunds on Canidae (doing fine) but decided to try the Raw Instinct as one of them (Samson) has had chronic problems with grass allergies, diarrhea, even HGE in the past. After doing my research, I thought that perhaps the grain free product might be even better for him.
I did do a gradual switch over the period of 7-8 days.
All three absolutely loved the food.
Once they were on 100% Raw Instinct however, Samson had a two-day bout of diarrhea and I ended up (after the water, chicken %26 rice etc diet) putting him back on Canidae.
The other two had no problems with the Raw Instinct and finished off the 20# bag, then they went back on Canidae as well. In our case, I learned that if it ain't broke don't fix it. And it's easier to have just one product in the house that serves for all three dogs.
I still believe Raw Instinct is a good product, it was just not right for Sam and his funny tummy. We have many customers who swear by it for their pets.
I recently switched my dogs to Canidae too, from Nutro large breed. I switched for the same reasons. One of my goldens had minor loose stools but the other one had a bit of the runs. They have on Canidae now only no more mixing and they are fine now. Took me almost 3 weeks to get them fully switched over. I did it very slowly.
I've been feeding my 3 dogs Canidae for years. My oldest dog is 15 and in wonderful shape, still walks a mile a day, plays, nice glossy coat. His last blood work was perfect.
Yeah, I'd recommend it...no corn, no wheat, no soy.
Canidae is an amazing food! Kudos to switching, I've never heard of Natures Variety, but it sounds like that may be the cause of the runs? Other awesome food is Innova and Eagle Pack, but as long as your sticking to Holistic you and your dog will be happy, give the runs time to run out, they will!
Both of those foods are excellent. Some dogs can't handle different foods for various reasons. I had to try several foods before finding what worked best for my dog. I have decided to keep him on raw food which is pre-packaged. If you want to check into that idea, Aunt Jeni's is a great raw food. Another dry food which is very good is Innova Evo. Canned food is also a good choice because of its high meat content. Merrick canned and dry are good choices. You may need to sample a few different foods to find the right one for your dog. Be sure to feed each food long enough for the dog to adjust to it if possible. For instance, it may give him runny poop for the first few days, but after the initial introduction he may be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment