Friday, July 31, 2009

Has anybody here bought a pet shop puppy?

if you have, could you please explain to me why you made that decision? Did you know that these puppies are from puppy mills? Are poorly bred? And will most likely have health issues when they get older?
Answers:
I have known many people who have boughten from pet stores.

1. they have had serious health problems as they got older. Some even before they got too old.

2. They do buy from puppy mills or "dog industries" which is a nicer name for a puppy mill.

if you notice when one dog is sold another dog replaces it practically the next day?

a normal breeder will not have the ability to restock the petstores that quickly. So they have to go to a mass breeder, puppy mill where they have puppies on hand, all year round, and enough to pick and choose from so the pet store has a "variety of dogs to offer" breed wise.

they wouldn't be able to do this without a puppy mill / mass breeder type setting.

I'd avoid pet store puppies as cute as they can be.

check the humane society or find a reputable breeder.

this isn't a slam to a petstore buyer- its the pet store, not the pet store buyer... but it is the truth.

I had a dog who lived to be 17... my friend had the same breed from a pet store that lived to be 10 and was constantly at the vet with health problems.

pet stores are not equip to handle the needs of puppies and sometimes puppies are not given enough play time, personal time, so on.

petstore puppies are also not always given the proper diet or feeding requirements.

many dogs they get are also too young to be separated from their moms which is what causes the health problems that they have.

I saw a dog that they claimed to be 6 weeks old (Which in itself is too young... and illegal in some states...) but I think it was younger than that even based on size, girth and teeth.
That's really not a fair question- quit trying to guilt people who got a dog from a pet shop.
People do not know about puppy mills, at least I hope that is the reason. It is up to the rest of us to educate them about what puppymills are and how they work hand in hand with petstores.
I have never bought a puppy from a petshop, but I think the majority of people that do really don't know where the puppies come from. I have seen multiple people say they got their puppy from a petshop and at the time, they had no idea what puppymills even were (and these people also vowed never to buy a petshop puppy again after they learned what the poor animals go through).
I was a 12 year old with an attitude and wanted a dog right then, right there. 6 years later I have a 6 year old Pekingese pup who made those 6 years VERY long! My mother didnt know about puppymills and to this day shes still all 'i dont care' about them, but now that I do .. of course I feel bad about buying him. I recently bought a 2nd dog and went to a VERY good breeder and checked out their facilty and everything.

Gizmo, my petstore dog, is 6 years old. Hes aggressive towards everyone outside of me and my mother. Chews on the ends of his blankets (a sign he was taken away from his mother too young), has an underbite/overbite, and had a hernia when we bought him, and also has a deformed rib. I LOVE gizmo, he was my first dog and will always have my heart. So far, hes very healthy and I'm SO greatful for that. He is on a good quality food (Innova) and is doing very well minus his puppymill faults.

He may go his whole life without having any health issues (minus the ones that come w/ old age), or maybe he will have health issues. But I was one of the lucky ones who petstore pup didnt die of parvo in a week.

So yes, my dog is a puppymill dog but I dont love him anyless than my good breeder dog. I learned from my mistake. Now I'M the one educating about puppymills at my local shelter.
I still go to the petstores and play with the dogs and let them know their loved. I admit that, but will NEVER buy another dog from a petstore because of what I know now. I can only HOPE that these pups dont end up back in those horrid conditions.
Yes, it was a bit more high scale than just a mall pet store. and no, he wasn't from a puppy mill, he was from a breeder, who I have the address, phone number, and name of. He's AKC registered and full blooded. I also have his whole family tree and all records they have of him. He was a bit pricey but I would've spent 10,000$ on him if I had to.
I don't think all pet stores are automatically bad. I think that's generalizing a bit.
I have not bought a puppy from a pet store, but I know plenty of people who have. There not like terrible dogs but they do seem to have more problems than dogs that were bred for show. For example: my neighbors dog has a problem of barking, jumping up and down incessantly and peeing when she meets new people. Although that could be her genetic background. I do know people that have bought dogs from pet stores and have had the puppy die a few months later because either there kidneys failed or they died of other complications which happened because of poor breeding. The people I know chose to buy the puppy from the pet store because they felt bad for it and wanted to save a life. if you were considering buying a puppy from the pet store; ask the owner if they know where the puppy came from. If they don't I wouldn't consider buying the puppy.
In 1986 I was 15 years old, shopping at the mall with my mom, and we walked by the pet store at the entrance to the mall and went in to look at the dogs. We weren't planning on it, but we bought the Pomeranian that they had there, and they held him until we were done shopping.

Now perhaps things were different way back then, it was 20 years ago after all, but my dog Willie was wonderful. He was nearly 15 when we had to put him down, and we fed him crap food from the grocery store. If we had known more way back when, maybe he would have lived longer.

Today, I would never purchase a puppy from a pet store because I know a whole lot more about the world, and I figure that I got lucky once, I would not take my chances again.
We bought our very first dog from a petshop.

Both hubby and I loved the look of the little Black Lab/Pointer cross. Neither of us knew anything about puppy mills and we were quite blue-eyed then. That was many many moons ago, and we have learned a lot in the meantime.

To top it up, the pups in the window were only 5 and 1/2 weeks old, much too young to be separated from their mum.

It was sheer luck that we got an absolutely wonderful dog, bold, strong, healthy, intelligent, one of the best dogs I have ever seen.

I would not buy a dog from a pet shop now, because it encourages an "industry" that should not exist.

+++
My family once made the horrible mistake of buying a boxer puppy from Debby's PetLand. Less than 3 weeks after we got her, she died of heart problems. We did not do the proper research, and had no clue where these puppy's came from. All we saw were the adorable puppies pacing around in their little cages, and wanted to take her home. We ended up paying a large amount of money in medical bills, and after Debby's refused to reimburse us my mother had to threaten to bring this story to the media. But no sum of money can replace the emotional termoil we have been through.

Why me made the decision to buy from a pet shop? I guess we simply only saw the outside of the puppy --- the adorable eyes, floppy ears... --- and didn't even bother thinking about what may be going on inside of her... all of the medical issues that may come along with poorly bred puppies, bred in a puppy mill. And I'm sure it's the same with many other people. Like my family, a lot of people probably just think of taking these puppies home, and do not think ahead to the medical problems and emotional pain that lays ahead.
nope never hasd and never will they're to expensive there!
but i did get a cat form one. and it turned out to be the best pet u coulod ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment