Friday, July 31, 2009

Handled Wayward Kids Badly?

I was out with my son and our large Belgian Shepherd dog the other day and whilst my (3 year old) son and I were wrestling I saw three of the children from our council estate approach us. These kids are not particularly bad, but they're the kids whose parents don't know or care where they are.

Well, they came right up to us and pointed to our dog. He's a big pup and was on his looong training line at the time.

"What is it?" asked one.

"HE is a Belgian Shepherd." I replied, emphasising the "He". My tone was annoyed as I really didn't want them to be there near us in the park at all.

"How old is it?" the same kid asked.

"He's a living thing." I replied, more annoyed, "The ball there is an 'it'."

They thought about that then another asked if they could pet him. I agreed. Another kid kept me talking and next thing I knew one of them had the football out of our bag and was about to kick it.

(to be continued)
Answers:
I think you handled it correctly. Unfortunately you can't do much about other people's unsupervised children. You were firm, but fair.
You did alright.
I think you did fine. A bit short with them but fine in all!
I think you handled it fine. As someone else said, you can't do much about others unsupervised children who probably have no respect for any animals.
A typical stereotypical approach to what u describe as 'wayward' kids. To be stereotypical is human and we all hold certain views despite trying not to. The children you describe did nothing against you initially (or throughout the situation you describe) and yet immediately you had an 'annoyed' tone to your voice simply because they said 'it' and not 'he'. Its obvious you want to change your attitude and in future I would recommend that you give these kids a break, it seems in our society that once mud has been thrown it sticks, and no-one will go out of their way to try and change this and give people a go!

Well done for admitting this and trying to change your attitude, just stop and think next time and give them a break after all the children are our future!

:-)
Sure, you may have been a little short with them, but they were unsupervised, so they must learn that not everyone wants them to come up and play with their dog. I would have done close to the same.
one of two ways, one be honest and tell them you would rather not, or two, tell them that he doesn't like strangers
even thought the kids might of thought you were annoying, you handled them alright. they shouldnt be so rude and you are a great parent. i have a friend who's parents didnt teach her many respectful rules so she takes things!!! i told her that it was bad and i felt bad, but i am glad i did, because she doesnt do it as much anymore.
in your situation, of course, you might feel bad now, but i am sure you feel better when you relize you did the right thing.
I think you did fine, dealt with the situation without causing an argument or any problem...What more could you want?
As all said you handled it well. But just remember when handling these children from the neighborhood, Some day your boy will be old enough to go to the park with his friends and might get bullied because the kids feel you are a bully. Also if you pup ever did get away from you, your gonna want those same kids to be nice and bring him home safe and sound.

Next time I would just tell them that you were getting ready to leave. Then you could walk farther into the park or around the park and then continue to play with your boy and pup.
A lot of great points have been made. I don't think you did anything wrong. However, we need to remember whose fault it is when kids are rude, unsupervised, ill informed etc. Not the kids fault.

I see a lot of rude kids, or not very considerate kids at least, and I think "I would love to smack your parents!", not the kids. You did try to educate them that a dog is a living being. They may have never had it presented to them that way before. "It" comes from their lack of knowledge.

Remember, we learn what we live. If their parents toss them to the streets, imagine how they must treat a dog!?

Being firm is good too though. You set boundaries and stuck to them. Excellent!

I have worked with inner-city toddlers who were never told "No" in their lives, not because they were spoiled, but because their parents didn't care enough to even do that much. Kids need boundaries and respect those who give them. Be firm, set boundaries, but REMEMBER, it's not their fault they are the way they are.

Keri
I would have told them "No" as soon as they asked to pet the dog.But I don't think you handled the situation badly at all.
dO WHAT i do say firmly please DONT TOUCH THE DOG and then walk away!

No comments:

Post a Comment