Friday, July 31, 2009

Greiving dog owner with a greiving female dog. How can I help my greiving dog?

I had to put down my male dog this week. The female dog refuses to eat and she keeps looking for him. What can I do to help her? ;( it is so sad to see her this way, its heart breaking. Help me with some good answers. It has been a very depressing week and it seems so hard to cope.
Answers:
Dogs move on very quickly. Just like people, they will go through a grieving period, which is healthy and normal, but they tend to move on a little faster than we do. Just love her and be there for her and before you know it, you'll start to see her be her old self. Once they have gotten over grieving, that is a great time to introduce a new dog, should you choose to get one. Bless your heart for wanting to help her! Like I said, just love her and give het a lot of affection.
Placing his toys around her is a nice jester. Hmm just trying to be there for her. She'll need time. Just like you will. She needs to get use to him being gone. Perhaps make a play date with other dogs.. i'm really concerned about her not eating. attempt to feed her. she needs food in her system or else she will not have energy. perhaps die aswell. If you cannot take her in.. they'll give her an IV
Sorry to hear about your loss!!

You might not be ready but getting a new puppy could really benifit her also if she is an old girl it will bring back the puppy in her.

Spend a lot of time with her giving her cuddles and taking her for walks, she will still be off her food for a couple of days but she will eat when she is hungry.
I had a pair of male chihuahuas and the 18 year old died. My 7 year old chihuahua was bereft for about 3 weeks. He refused to eat, couldn't sleep, he laid at the other dog's grave in the back yard for days. I just spent a lot of time with him. I talked to him and pet him. I let him sleep on a pillow near my head where I could continually touch him. I also took him with me every time I left the house so he was not alone too much.
Like humans who are grieving, time is what heals the wounds. I think the dog grieved a shorter time than I did but at least we had each other. Just keep loving her. Give her a few more weeks. She will eat when she is hungry. I am very sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry and pray for you and her. It sounds just like the book "Where the Red Fern Grows".
I wouldn't suggest getting her a new companion right away, but maybe over time?
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. We went thru this a few weeks ago. We got a puppy. Not that any dog could replace our beagle mix and her big goofy grin.
But our surviving Beagle grudgingly succomed to the puppies antics, and we did as well. We are still mourning our beloved girl, she will always hold a special place in our hearts and our memories. But the puppy has helped us all to start to smile and laugh again, and eased some of the burden on our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment