Thursday, July 30, 2009

Going on a long walk.need your help.?

I am doing the Walk for Hunger, which is a 20 mile walk. I want to bring my dog. She is an American Eskimo whom is very active and loves to run.

Will 20 miles be too much for her?

There are checkpoints every 2 -3 miles with water for dogs and food.
Answers:
If you can have a friend or family ready to take her if/when she gets too tired, or sore footed, it would be OK..but if there is no one to help, I wouldn't risk it..Working dogs can handle 20 miles, herding...but that is on softer footing. I worry about her sore feet...and she isn't used to the long trek, either.
Im sure she will be fine if there is water and food along the way for her ! If in doubt just dont take her
Hmm, you might want to ask the vet. That's a long walk. But great that you're doing that.
Yes - I think 20 miles is too long for a dog.
Can you get someone to perhaps take her home halfway through???

Good luck with your walk!!
yes it will be just right and the best thing is that when you are relaxing she don't bother you
MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA. INSTEAD, ONE'S MITE BE CONTRIBUTED TO ANY ORGANISATION CONNECTED WITH CHARITY, FEEDING FOR THE HUNGRY.
It's great that you're doing it but I don't think a dog would be able to walk for so long if it's on concrete. Their feet would get very sore and tired. Plus, they are long haired dogs so I would be worried about her getting too hot. I would see if you could get a friend or someone to take her home if she gets too tired or just leave it and instead, on the weekend, take her for a nice long walk near a beach or something similar.
my goldie would have loved it 5 years ago but hes getting old and wouldnt manage 20 miles you go for it dog and all just take extra water and a dish in a backpack in case she needs a drink in between

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelley,

    My name is Brooke and I am a Communications Associate with The Walk for Hunger. I happened to come across your post on this site (via Google Alerts).

    The MSPCA and Project Bread recommend that dogs do not participate in The Walk for Hunger. As many have pointed out, walking that far on pavement can be very hard on their pads and they may get hurt.

    So others do not get confused, we do have checkpoints every few miles, but these do not have water for dogs.

    I would recommend doing a shorter charity Walk with her - I believe the MSPCA hosts a dog-walk in September.

    Look forward to seeing you in May.

    Best,

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete