Thursday, July 30, 2009

Good place to find a new home for my dog?

I moved back home with my mom and the rest of my family and I have been having a hard time adjusting my pet terrier. He's been in an apartment before, but he has less free reign since my mom is a little stricter and tehre is a baby in the house. I've been thinking that I might have to find a new home for him. But I would prefer to find a home with good owners that have a yard that he can run loose in. If it comes to this, I want to be prepared. Does anyone know of a good way I can find a new home for my dog if I have to? Thanks.
Answers:
Craigslist in the pets section is a great way to find someone. Do a home visit. Ask for a veterinarian reference. Ask for a rehoming fee, if they can't afford $100 for your trouble how can they afford to take your pet to the vet? Have your pet neutered. Many puppy mills look for situations like this. Your pet is ready to breed and will be bred to death. If it's been less than 6 months since you moved home you may just be expecting too much. Dogs adjust slower because they don't know all the details of the situation. YOU have to train him. I house trained a 9 y.o dog and to this day she still remembers. It takes time but it can be done. As long as the dog is not a danger to the baby I think the adults could put up with the dog.
If he is a breed - search for rescue sites online. For example - Westie Rescue. Be careful fo placing an ad for free to good home as lots of crazy people use these dogs as bait for fighting dogs and other things.
Put a listing on craigslist.org for your area. You can also place an ad in the classifieds. Be clear about what you want for the dog. His new owner ought to care about him as much as you do.
You can either release him to a local no-kill rescue, where he'll be fostered in a home until he's adopted to a nice home...

OR

You can find a home for him, yourself, where you can receive updates %26 pictures. You can use Petfinder.com (I've used them, when I had to re-home a rabbit, they're wonderful) and Craigslist.org. Just be careful to avoid spammers. Make sure you are able to meet the potential adopters, and see how your dog reacts to them, and vice versa. Make sure it's a good match.
If you are in the USA go to the petfinder.com website or even look for a local terrier rescue group in your area. A rescue group that is breed specific can help place your dog in the best loving environment. Hope that helps you make the right decision.
Could you try taking him for extra walks for longer periods? You could also try a large training crate for the times you go out.

So long as he understands that baby is above him in the pack there shouldn't be any problems.(Unless he is a pit bull)

You can do this by having baby on your lap when he is on the floor. try and stop him climbing on the chairs.

It is hard finding new homes for dogs. You could advertise, but make sure you visit prospective owners a few times and get permission to visit.

Is there nowhere else you could go where you could keep your dog?
Please give it time.But if all fails find a rescue shelter or put an ad up at your vets office.Then you will know that they go to the vets with their pet.I feel for you,give him time...

No comments:

Post a Comment