Friday, July 31, 2009

Haircut or no? Which is more soothing?

My JRT/Westie mix has adorable wafts of curls that make her a shaggy dog that I love and adore. Of course if we don't brush her everyday, it just sorts of mats down. Today is the first really hot day and she seemed in hog heaven that I was brushing her at lunch.

Should she get a summer haircut? Should she be cut regularly to keep the hair out of her eyes? (It kind of curls up in front of her eyes a bit from her nose/jowels).

I love my shaggy dog but I want her to be cool and comfy. Does it really make a big difference in that type of coat (semi-wirey).

Here's a pic: http://files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/91/418...
Answers:
You can keep the curls, but keep her brushed out so the air can get to her skin. If you do cut her short, be careful of sunburn.

You can take her to a professional groomer and have the pads of her feet trimmed and her eyes and her belly, she'll be cooler but still have hair. She could also get a long haircut so she has hair, but not too long and it can have shape.

Wire coats do stay cooler than double thick coats. Any dog benefits from brushing. I'd brush her daily if you want her to keep her hair. Brushing also helps you spot problems before they become bad...ticks, sores, hot spots...etc...
if it is hot where you live, you should. if you don't, your dog could have a heat stroke.
i would just clip her hair a little bit
Awwww! She is a sweetie! I think this is totally up to you. If she seems really bother by the heat then yes get a trim. But I do really like the shaggy dog look myself.
Cute pup, I think I would leave the hair on, I am sure your dog loves the attention of being brushed. I might trim the hair around the eyes if it is going into the eye itself. Short haired dogs can sun burn the longer hair should work as protection but your dog is a house dog so if you can handle the heat your pup should be able to also.
I think she should not get a haircut. Well, for the summer...? I would wait a little while longer until it gets warmer, then give her a little trim. not so shaggy looking, but not really short. Cute dog by the way! I have a small Bichon Frise named Mia.
Oh my gosh sooo cute...I ahve two westies myself Oliver and Maddie ...dad and daughter...anyhow I had the same delema...Maddie has curly soft hair and I just had them to the groomer...I asked If I should just shave them since it gets so hot where we spend our summers...we have a boat so summers are very hot on deck...the groomer saidshe would do the classic westie cut and gave them a short skirt...while both dogs got the same haircut...maddies hair is curlier so she looks shorter...anyhow get a long westie cut...they do not have to cut all of their hair off and I do think they feel and see better after a trip to the groomer...
Actually dogs don't lose heat like humans. They don't sweat they pant and lost heat through their pads. So getting her cut is really up to you and how you want her to look. She probably loved the attention and feel of the brush, it's good bonding time.

No comments:

Post a Comment