Wednesday, July 29, 2009

From the two former questions, how do you stop dogs from barking?

Thank-you for all your answers and on reading your advice I have decided not to buy shock collars for the three dogs as they are too cruel, and small terriers (paps) are a nervous breed of dog to begin with. Where to I buy a remote control barker/training collar from and how much do they cost?
Answers:
I used to think that my dogs were just barking for no reason, but now I don't think that's true. They used to bark every night, all night which drove me insane. I never could see anything. I finally discovered there was a fox in the area and now I feel bad for yelling at them to shut up. They are just doing what they think is duty and comes natural. I just go out and pretend I see what they are trying to show me and praise them for being 'Good Dogs', lead them back with a nice treat and try to move their attention to something else. Like a game of tug-of-war. They are just trying to please. I really think you should give them a little more credit before resorting to something as drastic as shocking them for doing what is only instinct.
What kind of training collar is there that trains dogs that doesn't shock them? Never heard of that.
put penut butter on there touges
lol remote control barker /training collar is a shock collar.
babies cry dogs bark ok like you they have grumpy days too live with it
Some training collars use sonics not electro-shock as a corrective.

Personally, I think my Pyr's fur is so thick that a sonic collar would be more effective than an electro-shock collar.

Doc
There is no difference... If you think a bark collar is mean, what the heck do you think that a remote collar is.. both are shock collars. One the dog shocks himself by barking, the other one, you shock the dog..
i have a small terrier too and barking is in there nature, let them bark, just remember every time they bark thery're communicating, ither with you or another dog. a dog can hear up to 1 mile so thats alot of noise and can hear above our hearing frequency. think of it this way how would you like to be given a shock or told to shut up every time you tryed to talk to someone because thats what your trying to do to your dogs.
As I said in my previous response I would look at it as a training issue because the dogs are distressed at being left - they need to be taught being left and on their own is ok. I would consult a behaviourist as they are likely to have some good ideas for you - or private training which is about the same thing really.

The collars only work by doing something the dogs don;t like.

No comments:

Post a Comment