Thursday, July 30, 2009

Giving my shih-tzu a bath?

why do my 6 wk old shih-tzu puppy shake when i give her a bath...after a while she stops because im holding her close and keeping her warm, but why do she do it in the first place?
Answers:
A puppy that young is new to the idea of bath time. So she is scared. Be sure and give her lots of treats and make bath time a pleasurable experience and she will learn not to fear it.
Because she is scarred
Because either she is cold or she's cold and scared. It's a big world to a little 6wk old puppy. First of all where did you get a puppy that young most puppies shouldn't even be away from their mother's till 8wks old. She's just scared and cold and you holding her after is a good thing to get her warmed back up and to feel not scared anymore.
First of all thoses dogs rock i use to have one and the same thing happened when i gave mine a bath also. But i kno 4 a fact ur hurtin it or nuthin so relax. All dogs especially small 1's shake after havin a bath. So be kool and don't freak or nuthin lol.
she scared and/or its too cold for that little dog
Shes scared. Next time, if you didn't already use the kitchen sink. It is at a good height for you to be close to the puppy and if you fill the sink with warm water first and gently introduce him into it he will be calmer. Just be slow and gentle. Hate to say it, he will never really like a bath!
she is most likely cold. Imagine how you feel when you first step out of a hot shower.. I have a chihuahua and I wait until a really warm day to wash him. After I give him a bath (in the shower with warm water) I wrap him in a towel and take him outside to the patio. There he can shake off, stay warm and not get water all over my house. It takes him about 45 minutes tops to completely dry and he loves being outside. Good luck!
because shes scared shitless... mine does that too...but hey what can u do...just make it quick.
I can't believe your baby is only 6 weeks old. At that age the breeder usually only use a bit of warm water and no soap to clean them off.

I have two Maltese and they shake also. I dry them with my hair blower set on low and they love it. I also have a hand held shower head which makes the bath quicker, easier and you can be sure to rinse them good. Try the blower while you are still in the warm bathroom. That will help a lot.
I have had three Shih Tzu. I have always used a hair dryer at a low setting. I sit with the bath towel on my lap with the dog on the towel this way they feel secure and you can hold them with the other hand. All three of my dogs grew to love baths even if they would shake while wet. Put a thin dish towel in the sink so they do not slide around. Be very careful around the eyes.
Cause she is too young to have a bath, and shouldn't be cold and drafty yet...
all dogs shake when they are wet it's normal
my dogs shake as well when i give them a bath. its just because your dog is scared. what i always do is: talk to them, tell them they are being good. just like when u talk to a little baby, u use that high pitch voice, do the same with your dog. then i usually give my dogs one treat and say GOOD BOYS! and i pet them, and have fun with them right after being bathed.
6 weeks??? It's illegal to take a puppy from it's mother at that age. It's also much too early to be dunking it in a tub, please stop giving her baths.
Mine did that when I first got him because he was afraid of the bathtub. After the first time I bathed him, and he saw that it didn't hurt, and I wasn't going to leave him in the water, he stopped shaking. However, I noticed the water I used the first time was also only room temperature, so he might have been cold (he was 10 weeks old at the time).

It's good that the blowdryer works for you. Mine hates it: he jumps at the stream of air and tries to bite it. Towel drying works, and just letting him shake it out like dogs like to do :)
she is scared to death and cold. at least your shih tzu doesn't try to climb up your arm. its painful.
my shih tzu is 1 year old. He still shakes when i give him a bath. I make sure the bath water is warm to. They must just be nervous, even after they have had 1000 baths. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment