Wednesday, July 29, 2009

German shepard and yorkie? How can they ever get along?

My husband bought me a Yorkie for mothers day. I have been wanting one for the longest time. It is so delicate and tiny. The problem is that we own a German Shepard and she seems to think that she is the same size as the yorkie. They have not gotten along at all and I am worried that they will never get along. I love both of the dogs but the german shepard is very territorial and is very rough on the yorkie and I don't want the little one to get hurt. Is there anything I can do to make them get along.
Answers:
Yes they can totally get along!! But of course this will take time. I personally have two german shepherds and move in back last august with a girl who has a beagle and four cats. My dogs although having interacted with other dogs before never had to live with another dog and epescially not cats before.

First try taking a blanket or something each dog lays on and place it under the opposite dogs' food dish. This way each dog will learn the association that the smell of the other dog means food (a good thing).

You also need to do slow introductions when you are letting them get to know each other and make sure these are well supervised. Also make sure if the shepherd gets to dominant she need correcting as well as the yorkie. Don't feel that you cannot correct her just because she is so tiny. Try walking them together too. You and your husband each having a dog so that they can be corrected when needed. Each dog needs to just walk next to you and ignore the other dog and this will accomplish that you are the pack leader of this pack of dogs. After a good long walk with them both behaving try introducing them again once they are both a little more tired and have less energy to take out on the other one.

It can definately be taught, but have lots of patience. My 90 lb shepherd and my roommates 10 lb kitten wrestle all the time together and she never once has come close to hurting him. Just make sure everyone knows that you and your husband are the top dogs in the house and they know their boundaries. Don't let one dog get away with something you would correct the other one for, regardless of their size.

Good luck!
poop
if u want them to get along,u must walk them as a pack
I had a chihuahua when I moved in with my boyfriend who owned a pit bull. So I asked myself the same question...
Fortunately the pit is very laid back and non-aggressive. I think both being females helped also. Now they are best friends. :~)
The best advice I can give is to teach the shepard that the yorkie is not a toy, and aggressive behavior is not acceptable.
Also not a good idea to lavish the yorkie with love and attention while the shepard looks on. That creates a jealousy problem.
If they absolutely will not get along, you will just have to keep them separated.
Good luck.
I've got a 9 month old Pointer and a 10 week old Corgi. They are opposite in size like night %26 day. For the first few days, the Corgi was petrified of the Pointer, but now they romp %26 roll all over the place. And the Corgi usually wins! Just like with kids, let them work it out but keep a watchful eye on them to make sure the Yorkie doesn't get hurt.
I have germanshepherds and shitzues, and they get along fine, one of my shepherds raised our first shitzue, the woman that I got her from is a very poor breeder she sold us the dog when it was only 6 weeks old, and it barley had its milk teeth, but with the help of our shepherds , and lots of loving she survived
If you had had the smaller dog first I would say yes, but the little one is walking on her private turf and is no doubt very jealous of this little cutey. I would keep them separated at all times, even when you are real close by. I used to have a german shepherd. Someone then gave me a little kitten. . I took it in. I sat with my dog for hours and days on end. Making them friends, and they were, she slept right by his snoot beside my bed at night. Then one day I looked out the window my shepherd had the kitten in his mouth shaking it back and forth. I ran out screaming at her, but it was too late she just laid limp on the ground. Don't Please don't let this happen to your little Yorkie. They need protected from big dogs, and I know they are gutsy and have no fear, but that is why its so dangerous. Keep the little one in a cage when your away. I love those little dogs. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment