Friday, July 31, 2009

Has any CoonHound Owners noticed that when they are on the trail their other senses dim?

When I walk my Bluetick coonhound he loves to smell the ground. I know that he is scenting anything that walked that way ine last day at least. I have seen him so keen on the trail of a squirrel that he didn't see the actual squirrel less than 3 feet away! I am just wondering if this is something specific to my dog or if other hound owners have seen this happen.
Answers:
It is like they zone everything else out and just focus on the scent. They have been bred to act that way so that they will not get distracted and loose the scent.
I have beagles and they definitely seem to go into a zone of their own when on a scent. They don't lose their quarry, though. But they sure can't hear ME.
It's worse with Bloodhounds. The nose goes down and they are totally oblivious to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment