Wednesday, July 29, 2009

German Shepherd?

Hi, i was wondering if German Shepherds are good Family dogs ? I was thinking about getting one .
Answers:
They are awesome family dogs, need a lot of socializing and a good leader.

Think about room, they need a lot, if you cannot provide adequate exercise and room I would look at a smaller bred.
I guess there 'ok'
All german shephard i meant, are kinda fiesty.
So pick one that is VERY NICE
They are great family dogs, As long as you RAISE them from a puppy
They can be, just like any other dog.

They have to be socialized early, and they may not do so well with little children because they can be kind of nippy. But if they're raised with children from the start, they'd probably be okay.

They're very loyal and good guard dogs. They also need a lot of exercise and room.
Yea I had a white one but she was too rowdy for me so I gave her to my friends little brother. They needs LOTS of room to run around. She was a very good dog.
We had a German Shepherd and he was an amazing dog. That said, you should research any breed that you are interested in and go out and speak with breeders. They will talk with you about your family situation and the lifestyle that you have and help you to determine if a German Shepherd is the dog for you.

Good luck with your search!
Personally, I would not buy a German Shepherd unless you can train the dog to be non-violent and obedient. This would mean a lot of time and effort on your part. They also need a lot of exercise - they love to run! Remember that once they are grown they are large in size and shed a lot as well. I suggest that a lot of research is done before you buy any dog, there are a lot of good reference books at your local library and of course, on the web.
they can be good family dogs but only if you get them young and train them right. but also be aware that some people may view the german sheperd as a mean dog. if you are looking for a first dog then i would recommend something less high strung like a beagle. but i think the best thing is to go check out your local shelter and see what kind of dogs they have. it is always better to rescue!
Yup they can be.. Make sure you do you research and buy one from a quality breeder.. You want one from hips certified most definitely. And make sure you buy from a breeder who wants to make sure that the right puppy gets into the right home.. That way you don't end up with a dog with too much drive, for the family setting.
GSDs are GREAT family pets. The issue is that YOU must be a responsible pet owner. I own a GSD, yet he has a serious stubborn streak. He tests our boundaries on a daily basis. Having a working dog is a day to day work trial.

These are very protective dogs, but you have to prove your worth, so put for the effort and you will be rewarded. Don't punish your GSD by slapping or hitting, but by love and training.
They are fantastic family dogs provided you are prepared to properly train and control them. They have high prey drives so you need to realize that you need to watch them carefully. I grew up with 2 german shephers, Tiko %26 Bullet, and they would tolerate anything from me, but if I had friends over, the dogs watched them like a hawk making sure I was ok. If my brother and his friends played rough with each other, the dogs would get protective of my brother and my parents would have to put them away in fear that the friends would get hurt. Your family would never be in danger, but if you aren't prepared to deal with a strong and protective breed, don't get one.
They are very protective of thier owners and are big enough to scare off intruders. The ones I come in contact with are somewhat friendly but tempermental. I am a groomer and I muzzle them because most of them don't want to be messed with. In my opinion, Golden retrievers are the best larger dog for children. They have a great disposition and are very easy to train. In my occupation I've never seen a mean Golden...but i've seen plenty of mean Sheperds.
They are wonderful as a family dog. I raise them and I can't think of a better dog to for a family to have. My father raised them when I was young and I had forgotten how wonderful they were until getting one as an adult. I often rescue and foster other dogs, but I only breed the shepherds. My daughter is older now and out of the house, so I have some that weren't raised around kids, but there is something about a shepherd and a child - there's a bond. I have a big male, about 110 lbs and he wasn't raised with children, but he loves just the sound of them, and he is so gentle with them. One of the ladies down the road has grandchildren that visit and sometimes they come down to my house to play with all the dogs. When they do my big male walks them back to their house and makes sure they get home okay. All of my dogs are good around children, but he is especially good. They are so big that sometimes a child will get knocked down (if they're real young), but he is so careful around the children even when they come to a dead stop in front of him he is careful not to knock into the kids. Don't let the horror stories scare you, find someone that breeds german shepherds for health and temperament and you'll never have a better family dog.

BTW - I don't own a shepherd or any dog for that matter that doesn't allow me to reach in their mouth and take treats out of it - that is how much I trust my dogs. I refuse to take my dogs to a groomer or vet that muzzles it based on some irrational prejudice.
they can be everyone thinks of them as mean dogs, they arent unles they are trained to attack. they can be a little agressive but dont tease them to often or otherwise they will start to want to bite you and thry will get rilled up when visitors come because they are gaurd dogs but then again that could help if you were ever to have someone unwanted come near your house.
I think so. When their trained anyway.
Yes,They are awesome family dogs, need a lot of socializing and a good leader.
they are excellent pets
they are one of the most loyal type of breeds ever!! l0l

it also determines on how you train them



i hope i helped
鈾andy
Yes, but they'll need grooming.
And family dogs means everyone need to socialize with them, not just one of the family.
I'm sure they'd be happy to be with families then stay outside.(^_^)
i have a german shepherd and she is extremely loyal and very smart they r very great family dogs and also protective of their family
I see it as that you can't expect a dog to behave the way it does just by its breed.
They are GREAT family dogs. They are VERY protective of children, they do not bite(but there are occasions where this is incorrect), they are guard dogs.

A few negitive thing;
They are VERY strong
They eat tissues(I know, weird)
Mine has fear agression, I am uncertain about all of them.

All in all, they are quite good pets, mine's name is Gretta

No comments:

Post a Comment