Thursday, July 30, 2009

Golden Retrievers?

What do you think of goldens? I have a 6 month old puppy, a white Golden.So don't tell me all about their tempermant, but do you think that they are over boisterous and/ or hyper? Becasue I know that they are known to be hyper and ove rboisterous according to many proffesional sources, but the ones I have met have been so relaxed and fun.
Answers:
I have 4 that live with me and they are very placid relaxed dogs. Never hyper unless a ball is being thrown in the yard or we are down the beach. Other family members have them to and they are all reasonably calm. I find the ones that are a bit hyper are the ones that don't get a lot of time spent inside.

Would love to see a photo of you dog, I have 3 cream goldens or what some people call white in the US.
It really depends on the personality of the dog, not necessarily the breed. I have met some incredibly mellow Goldens and then I have met some that I needed a second and sometimes a third set of hands to help groom. It depends on the dog. I have also met some Golden's with some really off the wall behavior problems (aggression/dominance) so just because the majority of Golden's are sweet and docile doesn't mean all will be!
I have 2 goldens and to me they are the sweetest most low key dogs. Yes they like to play and wrestle and play fetch. They do have energy but I wouldn't say that it's bad or too extreme. They're energetic and fun loving, but also like to cuddle and protect you. They're the best breed in my opinion.
It can vary from dog to dog, but usually as they age Goldens tend to get more relaxed to the point of almost lazy by about age 5. Goldens are great, good choice on your puppy!
My brother, My sisters and My parents all have Goldens and LOVE them! They like to play, and need attention, but so do most dogs. I don't think they are "Hyper". Don't believe everything you hear about a breed. I have an English Springer Spaniel, most people say "oooohhhh, I'm sorry to hear that." when I tell them what kind of dog I have. Because they are known as "Hyper" and "Untrainable" by many. He is smart as a whip, tons of fun, and learns new tricks everyday.

Just love your pup, play with it a lot, walk it daily and you'll have a GREAT dog! You might want to go to obedience school with your pup, they do get big and STRONG. You want to make sure you have a good relationship with them right from the start.
I bred Goldens for 27 years. Yes then can be hyper as pups but usually calm down by 12 months old. As with any pup you need to train them and have them attend obedience classes.
Goldens are fun and they can be your very best friend too.
Enjoy your Golden pup!
ok yes they can be very hyper but they r so cute and so loving and great companion i think the reason that the goldens u have met have been trained and i think once ur little agel has been trained up bit he or she sry didn't mention a gender but they will be just as fun and relaxed as the other goldens u have met hoped i could help Oh Goldens ROCK this WORLD!!
Golden's are great dogs, and not air-heads. Just full of energy, bred for flushing out birds. So they need alot of exercise and mental stimulation. I have had many rescues and not a bad one in the bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment