Wednesday, July 29, 2009

German shepherd ***** with problems,need help.?

I rescued a german shepherd a few months ago she was beaten by her lady owner,but she is fine with me and loves my partner to bits in the last couple of days she has been biting my arms,legs,head, i dont understand why, she as lots of love and attention,why is this?.
Answers:
Thank you for taking in an abused GSD! Thank goodness your dog is no longer suffering.

A couple of things that I would suggest are:

1. Contact the rescue from where you adopted your GSD. Maybe the volunteers can give you some pointers.

2. Make sure your GSD is getting a lot of exercise. As another wrote, "a tired dog is a happy dog!"

3. Consult a dog trainer.

4. Correct the behavior with an effective method for your GSD. Some ideas that might work are the spray bottle, bark-like "NO!" voice, shake can, nap-of-the-neck grab, hand around muzzle, etc. No hitting, though.

Good luck. I hope that at least one of these suggestions help!
Perhaps she is playing with you, that is one way that dogs play.

You need to have her seen by a trainer, so that they can tell what kind of biting she is doing.
My German does the same thing . She does not bite down on us though,just open mouth.Also High Five to you for taking the dog from a horrible place.I did that too when Mollie was a pup.
Take her outside, and run it out of her!!! My dad (a trainer of Labradors) always said "A tired puppy is a well-behaved puppy." The same goes for dogs! When my dog is bugging me-- barking, pawing, gnawing, whatever-- we go for a run or out in the yard to play for a bit!
Is she biting or is she nibbling? If she is nibbling she is grooming you, If she is actually biting you there might be some movement that triggers her memory of her past. Watch how you move and see if it triggered by certain movements.

If your movements have any sort of intention 'as if' to strike her she will react. Abused dogs sometimes takes a while to gain full trust. If she was slapped, kicked, beaten any movement similar may trip a trigger.

She may see your partner as Alpha %26 you as an equal %26 is play fighting as puppies do. You did not say how old or about how old she is so I can't really assume she is puppy or adult.

Do you smell like the old owner (perfume) (bath soap) any thing there that might trigger.

If she is just fleaing (nibbling) you she is showing her respect %26 love for you.
I find GSDs are "mouthy". Mine does it when he wants to go out, wants his dinner, wants attention - or is bored! Don't let her bully you though, she's probably finding her feet with you %26 thinks she'll try it on a bit to see how far she can go!
Do you do any training with her? GSDs love to learn %26 when mine gets in his crocodile mood, I find 5 minutes training helps him settle down better.
Mine would "grab" me when he wanted me to do something Like go get my 2 year old. They are extreemly smart and you may nead to liston better to it.
OK that is if the biting is not in anger if it is get her checked out or go to a trainer.
Try to read her watch her tail ears and posture. IF the ears are FLAT back and tail streight out and line of hair in center of back stiff she is MAD
But they do try to talk to us so you nead to learn her language
I would suggest she's trying to be dominant. Maybe now that she's sure of you she's decided she wants to be the boss. If you've been overly soft with her she might have misunderstood and doesn't regard you as top dog. Whatever the reason, get it nipped in the bud before she gets really aggressive.
Good luck, and well done you for rescuing a dog.
If by biting, you mean she is getting hold of your arm etc but not applying pressure, most German Shepherds do this at some point, usually when they are young, my young GSD (1 year old) grabs hold of my arm first thing in the morning, it's her way of greeting me, the dog in my pic used to do this as well, your dog is so glad to have found a great new home, and is now settled with you, it is like she is a puppy again (starting again), don't let it get out of hand though,
Well done for rescuing her!

No comments:

Post a Comment