Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting my large dog from US to UK - alternatives?

Any alternatives to get my large dog from US to UK?
We are planning to move to London this fall/winter and are investigating how we can get our 80lb dog there. I'm really hesitant to put him on a plane as cargo. I wish I could pay for a seat for him.
Anyway, I've heard that people have chartered flights (the unused leg) for this purpose - anyone have info on it? Also, I read that there's a cruise ship that allows smaller dogs - the Cunard, but I think our dog is too big.
Anyone have a private jet or yaht that I could borrow? :)
Any other suggestions?
Answers:
Try these links:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/index...

www.jets4pets.com

Hope it helps, let us know how it goes!
Man I really hate to tell you this but I just shipped a APBT puppy to Canada from Texas and I read on ALL the Airlines that the UK doesn't even allow any animals to come into the country! Good luck with finding an alternative to that, I tried googling "International Pet Shipping" and found some really good companies but I don't know if that will help you, it didn't help me b/c he had to be flown due to the distance of the trip.
I don't have travel suggsstions other than either buying a seat or flying him as cargo.

One concern that I want to bring to your attention.
Please contact UK Customs about importing a dog. It used to be that they had a 6-month quarantine requirement. You need to look into that and see if it is still in effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment