Friday, July 31, 2009

Has anyone ever known a dog to get sick from taking Glucosamine?

I have given her dosage in the past and found out that I was giving her too much. I have started again recently, giving her the proper amount according to her vet. She is a very large (not fat) Golden Retriever, so he said to give her 1500 mg per day (split 750 twice a day). She refused to eat this morning and still had not eaten when my husband checked on her at lunch - that is not like her at all. She is also very lethargic. My first intuition is to stop the Glucosamine again, but I don't want her joints to go bad. She is only 8 years old.
Answers:
Goldens are prone to joint problems so I can understand your concern. I would try to decrease the dose. If she still can't tolerate it then you might just have to deal with any joint problems that come up with aging. If she is getting around well now, you are doing great. Their lifespan is only 10-11 years usually, so she is doing well at 8 if she has no problems.
I feed my dog Glucosamine as she has a spinal disease called spondylosis , a form of arthritis and she couldn't be better ! I did a lot of reading up before I gave it to her and found no evidence for me to worry about giving it to her . She is a staffordshire bull terrier and takes 600mg along with chrondrotin and MSM so they all work together which may be better .I am not suggestioning YOU do this but I do think it might be something else and not the glucosamine. Maybe have her checked , good luck
While there are almost no side effects of glucosamine, here's what you need to know:




If you are allergic to shellfish you should consult your physician before using glucosamine products. Glucosamine is derived from shellfish.

If you are pregnant or lactating you should consult your physician before beginning to take glucosamine.

Glucosamine sulfate may increase the risk of developing insulin resistance and could decrease the metabolic actions of insulin. Although glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are biochemically classed as carbohydrates (sugars), the body is not able to break them down into glucose, so these compounds do not raise blood sugar by providing an additional source of glucose. However, many factors can affect insulin secretion and blood glucose levels in diabetic patients, and we recommend that individuals with diabetes check their blood glucose levels frequently when initiating glucosamine into their regimen.

High dosages of glucosamine may cause gastric problems, nausea , diarrhea, indigestion, and heartburn. Glucosamine should be taken with meals to help avoid these problems

No comments:

Post a Comment