Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting a Weimaraner Puppy in June.?

Late june.
From PN.
My dad is angry right now so my mom is the one who is currently taking care of talking to the people who own the puppies right now.
I have done 3 years of research (You know, life stories, information, a little at a time basically) and i personally love their strong-headedness and how obsessed they are with the owners.
I was wondering if anyone around here has HAD a weimaraner or still does and what they would like to share.
Also, I had a 5 month old puppy (now a 3 year old standard poodle) and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to let them meet.
I also know pretty much everything on puppies (again, research) and was wondering if anyone has tips they would like to share (I know crate training, to not use puppy pads, etc.).
It will thankfully be summer time so no need for seperation anxiety for a while.
So yeah.
Anyone who has/had a weimaraner and would like to share.
And 2, some points on dogs meeting.
%26 3, puppy tips.
I am getting a weimaraner %26 no other
Answers:
Congratulations on your new Weimy. They are great dogs, and I'm pleased that you have taken the time to research the breed. I have a 1 1/2 year old Female Blue Weimaraner and she's a great dog. When I brought her home as a puppy my sister already had a 3 year old lab, I ended up just bringing her home and letting them meet by themselves. My sisters dog Mocha was a mellow dog and she just ignored Graycie. Of course puppies being puppies she was always attacking Mocha, she soon got put in her place. Older dogs will do that. If you want the meeting to go smoothly, make sure you walk your older dog first before they meet so that your poodle is tired, it might make the meeting go smoother.

Crate training is good, and try with the separation anxiety early. I tried but mine will still chew things that she's not supposed to, so a crate is a good training tool if you don't want the house destroyed.

And the best advice, make sure you exercise your weim ALOT when they are older. Find and join a dog park where he/she can run and run and run. I find that helps with the anixety and also from driving you insane. Take to puppy training classes and be sure to work with your dog every day. NEVER smack a Weim, it makes them very wary of you and not trusting. Learn to be pack leader because they are very hard headed dogs and like to take over if you let them, DON'T. You must be the boss at all times.

They are very loving dogs, they don't call them velcro dogs for nothing.

And lastly, Weim's can suffer from bloat because they are deep chested dogs. Make sure that you don't exercise 2 hours before or after eating and don't let them gulp water too quickly after exercising (too much air in the belly) and don't give water for an hour before or after eating.

Enjoy your weim, I love mine to death. She is my first dog and I love her to death, but I would always caution people to make sure they read as much as they can on the breed because they can be hard to handle if not trained correctly. My father got one because he's always liked the look of them, but him and his wife are not pack leaders, his dog is nasty and hard to handle and bites people.

If you are able to go and pick a puppy from the litter. DO NOT grab the rambunctious puppy, get the one that will lay on their back like a baby in your arms or is the calmest of the bunch. Rambunctious puppy will turn into a rambunctious and destructive adult, calm puppy will become a calm adult. Trust me when I tell you, Graycie lay like a baby in our arms and wasn't a wiggly fussy puppy she basically curled up in my lap and went to sleep. She is still a big baby, she will lay on her back like a baby on the couch with me and snuggle, she's 55lbs and not a lap dog but she will be one and has no problems being a snuggle bunny.

Whenever you can keep researching the breed the better informed you are the better owner you'll be.

Good luck and congratulations.
I'd like to recommend the book My Smart Puppy, and website mysmartpuppy.com - as a wonderful general puppy resource. As far as weimaraner goes - no personal experience, but neighbor has one has raised from puppy - is now 2 years old %26 has been a handful all along - but very clever! TONS of energy! Good luck to you!
I adopted a 2 yr. old female weim from a shelter one yr. ago Memorial Day week-end. First of all, they are awesome dogs. On the strange and quirky side, but wonderful. I have and have only had neo mastiffs previously, so I was used to lazy, mellow, big, fat, drooling dogs. Let me tell ya. The first two weeks with her nearly killed me. She is like greased lightning. Run, run, run, hunt, hunt, hunt. I seriously thought of returning her, but was "saved" by a website I found that really helped me. I got her into training, and today she is a completely different dog. I totally love her, "Gracie". I know she had not had training, so that will be your biggest and most important detail. But, since you are getting a pup, you should be just fine. They are EXTREMELY LOYAL, LOVING, AFFECTIONATE AND NEED TO BE WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. I go upstairs, she goes. I go downstairs, she goes. She sleeps in bed (I know, I know) and literally crawls headfirst under the covers and needs to right next to me. They always seen to have a very serious look to them and appear very regal. She is very protective of my oldest dog-a 7 yr. old mastiff who has had cancer for over a year. A large oral tumor which we have had removed x 2, and just keeps coming back. She "mothers" him, licks him, and if my youngest dog (a 2 yr. old female mastiff) gets too riled up and starts to bug him, she will take that dog down. I had her meet and greet the other dogs to see how they would get along before the adoption and it went well. The older mastiff could really care less. There were a few "leader of the pack" fights between the two females, and the weim won over. She is the alpha, however the "girls" play, romp, explore and are best buddies. I have never crated any of my dogs. I do have a very very large yard, which is electric fenced and they are totally trained. Also, my dogs go on two long walks a day. The weim really needs to run, so I take them to a park.They are hunters, so watch for "picking up a scent", and they can really go for it. Late at night and very early in the morning, I let them off the elestric collars to explore as we have woods and ponds and such, so they enjoy that as well. Good Luck to you and your new addition. Try the websites-they seriously saved me from a nrevous breakdown,. But remember, I adopted an adult who had a crappy life with no formal training or exercise plan. Have Fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment