Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting a dog...?

I am going to get a dog once school lets out which is in about 5 weeks. I am REALLY excited and the days seem to be going MUCH slower because I am actually thinking about it. I honestly can't wait. My mom refuses to get the dog before school is over because:

a) She fears the dog will distract us and therefore we won't be able to study for our exams properly since the dog would be new and all. (By saying we I mean my brothers and I)

b) She needs to see my average which has to be a 90 or above in order for me to get the dog which is not a problem for me.

BUT I CAN"T WAIT!!!! How can I make the days go by faster because I am constantly thinking of the dog. I already came up with names and made an appointment with the shelter. What can I do to make time go by faster!!?
Answers:
Study books on training.

I too was in just such a place once upon a time (a long time ago), and this was how I made the time pass for myself. It also came in handy when I had to housebreak and train my pup to stay in the yard and heel.

And it was such a great time having her for those first months. We spent the whole of the day together. Waiting until summer break will also allow you to be on hand all the time for your new little pup. It will make her feel safer, having you close by all the time while she is so young.
hi i was like that before i got my dog ,just keep studying hard ,make your mum proud ,she will be anyhow ,its hard but the day will come when you get your dog and thats when the really hard work will begin ,you can do little things like making sure the dog cant get out of the garden etc xx
Go buy some cute dog toys! That is always fun. Buy everything you need for a dog. Maybe you've already done this. Do you have a bridle for your dog, a dog basket and all that stuff. You also can find some information about your dog, what you can do mostly with him, his character (a description in a dog handbook). Good luck and much fun with your dog later!!!
I can understand the intensity of your feelings. Unfortunately all time passes at the same rate, it is just our feelings at the time that makes it seem faster or slower. When you get your dog, you'll enjoy him or her more for waiting.
Do you have any time in your busy school days or on weekends to volunteer to help at the shelter? This would be fun and educational for you...even if it's just for 2 hours a week. In this way, you're getting more prepared for the responsibility of having your own dog. Shelter's ALWAYS need volunteers.

You could contact local breeders and boarding kennels to see if they need any help. You could intern with a groomer on weekends. You could find out about dog training classes in your area, and go and watch and learn.

Remember getting a dog has responsiblities, annual vet check, vacinnations, training, exercise, proper nuitrition. Be a responsible dog owner!
You say you have "made an appointment with the shelter". I assume that means you are getting a rescue dog. First off, congratulations on that and good for you for going the rescue route. One big thing that I don't see here in your questions is a reference to what kind of dog you are getting. Figuring that out is a very important step. Do not just get a dog to get a dog. The dog has to be the right mix in temperment for you, your family and your lifestyle. If you are a sedentary family that enjoys sitting around and watching TV, a high energy dog is not a good thing for you to get. It will tear your house apart.

So maybe the best way to pass the time is to do research on different types of dogs so that when you are ready to get yours, you will know what kind of dog to look for. I know you are anxious and excited to get this dog, but make sure it is one that will fit with your family or else it may end up right back at the shelter.
I agree with the read/study advice. Do you know what breed you're expecting? If not, you need to start some research...find one that will fit your family's lifestyle and needs. It's also a good time to read up on training or find an obedience school. You can also puppy/dog proof your house, find a vet, a groomer (if needed), select a food, go shopping, etc. It's an exciting time, good luck!
Busy yourself with your studies and do the best you can. You can also show your gratitude to your mom by helping her as much as you can. Also, do some research from the vet about what to expect, what the more common things are that comes to him, when to call him and when not, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment