Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Gawd oh mighty...greyhounds and the barf diet?

my 2 beloved greys have been on the barf diet for nearly a week now and are doing great..my females appetite has somewhat doubled(thank the lord).the flatulance has diminished and my poo bag usage is dwindling to nill...but iv just been on an american web page that says barf is bad for greys so now im panicking..they are fed naturesmenu meat and anglian meat (the natures comes in chunks it does for a change)and it aint cheap.Do any other grey owners know if the barf diet is bad for greys ? Your advice please..as you all no iv had a continual battle with dry/soaked food before you suggest that
Thanx in advance for your thoughts xxxxx
Answers:
The person who introduced me to the barf diet has greyhounds.and they've been fed barf all their lives. They were raced (successfully) on barf. Just make sure that Natures Menu and Anglian Meat has enough bone in it. As a rough guide, a dog should be fed 60% Raw Meaty Bones, such as chicken wings. If you're in the UK, you should be able to source chicken wings, and feed your dog a lot cheaper than you're doing now. If you want a diet sheet to help you, please feel free to mail me. Ignore people who say that barf is bad for greys..or any other breed. Dogs are dogs, and they all have the same digestive system..from the chihuahua to the Great Dane.

All the best.

PS to Chalice. The Rmb's themselves clean the teeth...even minced. On top of that, most barf dogs are given recreational bones, which clean the teeth. Of the five dogs I have here, one under a year old, others 4,5,9 and 11...not one needs their teeth cleaned.
Kelly why did they say it was bad for the greys? You know I have found that everyone has an opinion about everything and my rule is if it isnt broke dont fix it.
If your dogs are doing well and eating and feeling fine then dont worry about it. You can call your vet to double check on this but then again he may not be of the opinion that the raw diet is the best either. Use your own judgement on this one.
The greyhound books recommend they be fed a food with between 22 - 27% protein (because they don't tolerate higher levels of protein well) and 10 - 15% fat. I found out the hard way that none of my 3 tolerate higher protein levels.

But if yours are doing well on it, I wouldn't change it. You might want to check with your vet (unless they're against BARF for any dog).
I'm not sure about this BARF business. It seems a lot of people are switching to it in a panic after the recall stuff (not you I know). Al I know is, racing greyhounds are fed meat only most of the time and then come to us with hideous, hideous teeth. So I'd be concerned about if the BARF diet has anything particular to help with teeth? I haven't heard about it being bad for greyhounds in particular.

As for 'if it aint broke don't fix it' - I see your point, but the thing about diet is you don't realise it's broke until the dog becomes ill!

Chalice
There is no reason a barf diet would be bad for any particular breed of dog. All dogs digest food the same way. Maybe you were told that because they don't know how to chew bones and will try to swallow them whole? I don't know, but I've never heard of any dog not doing well on a raw diet. If your dogs don't seem to know how to chew up the bones, you can grind them. You may want to do some research on the Internet and/or buy a book or two on feeding raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment