Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fruits & Veggies For Dogs?

Could someone please tell me what fruits and veggies are safe, healthy snacks for dogs (puppies). I know grapes are a no-no... and that carrots are good for them. I also heard apples and broccoli are good as well (in moderation). Anything else? Thanks!!
Answers:
Green beans are great.
My dogs love bananas %26 grapefruits. I don't like to give them too much grapefruit because its so acidic. But they love bananas!
green beans, squash, blueberries, apples ( without core /seeds ) pretty much most fruit and vegetables. Watch those that cause you to get gasy cause they are likely to do the same with him.. ie cucumbers.. might bother a dog as they tend to bother people.. Cabbage is one that I would avoid for obvious reasons :)
Never chocolate or onions - both are poison for dogs.

Most vets will also tell you to avoid fruits and veggies high in sugar because like humans, the sugars will decay their teeth.

My dogs love carrots, broccoli, celery, zuchinni, and just about anything else green except for lettuce.
It's safe to give them any of those you mentioned. But grapes and any nuts are a defenate NO.
Dogs are meat eaters.
They wouldn't usually eat fruit or vegatables.
Best to stick with the bones and dog food.
It will sound funny, but I grow cat grass for my dog. Actually I have 11 cats and 1 dog and I don't buy cat grass at the store. I go to the farm store and by (50 pound) bags of (covered crop wheat) which is so close that they can't tell the difference. Anyway, it is good for digestion and they need the greens. The all love it including the dog. A 50 pond bag only cost me $9 in Indiana.
Some dogs love lettuce. Try that and spinich. My dogs love fruit more than anything but you shouldnt give them any. It is okay to give them a grape every once in a while, but just dont do it on a regular basis. My dogs LOVE oranges and clemtines. Weird right? I know but they love them more then meat. It has A TON of vitamins in it so I dont mind. But just incase it hurts them, I only give it to them about once a week. Also for protein, you can give your puppy peanut butter. Maybe a spoonful in each meal every other day.
We add sweet potatoes or yams, broccoli, and carrots. My wife has read up on it and found those to be good to add. They also will eat them.
Green beans, potatoes, bake beans, peas,
corn, cabbage, all cooked vegies. They also need protien and bake beans have alot, but give them meat and cereal too.
Good Luck. Should have a real healthy dog.
my moms friend rescues puppies and says greenbeans are REALLY good for them!!!
I have a 6 month old Westie and we use frozen peas and carrots to train her :) she loves them!

She's not fond of banana but if we freeze a chunk, and throw it outside, she'll chase it around.

I avoid giving her corn, grapes, citrus fruits and i check apples to make sure the seeds are out.

One fruit that she adores are Mountain apples or Malay apples. Unfortunatly, they're my favorite and very seasonal so she doesn't get that many :)

I like her to eat frozen peas best. Her breath smells better after she eats a few.
No no's are onions raisins as well as grapes. Good ones are most everything else. Green leafy veggies are great as are carrots and tomatoes and blueberries and pumpkin or squash
hey good question! I taught my cockerspaniel mix dog some basic things using apples ( i did peel them and cut them into small bite size pieces) then i got a couple of puppies and they LOVE mandarian oranges!, I used to peel grapes sometimes for them. I haven't tried broccoli, that may be a good idea. But def apples and carrots they liked. The carrots were good esp. during their teething stages, gave them something to chew on too.

* hey just doing some quick research on my end too, check out this article, it seems to think some nuts and fruits are not good for dogs... http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/...
My lab loves apple slices, shredded carrots, any veggie cooked with butter - except mushrooms. She will not eat lettuce either! Fruits are not her favorite, beside apples and apricots. Onions and garlic ... she likes, but I won't give her much. Grapes, if they are cut into quarters, but only one or two. Cheese is one of her favorites too!

No comments:

Post a Comment