Wednesday, July 29, 2009

From Royal Canin dog food to Solid Gold..?

I switched my 8 month old pupp's dog food from Royal Canin maxi puppy food to Solid Gold puppy food. I was just wondering if any of you think Royal Canin is better or not, or if there's other better than Solid Gold.
Answers:
Solid Gold is MUCH better quality than Royal Canin.. S.G. is a very high quality food, and I'd highly recommend it. Royal Canin is expensive, but if you read the ingredients, there are some undesireables in there. Some of their food has been recalled as well so you may want to check that out..
Nope you did a good thing. Some of the Royal Canin foods have been recalled.
Keep her on the solid gold its a great food, one of the very best!
Check the ingredients, the first one on the list should be a meat "lamb, chicken" and not a vegetable or a meat by-product. thats a good indicator of the food quality.
Right now, there are some formulas of Royal Canin which are under the pet food recall. Usually, however, it is a very good food. I've heard both good and bad about Solid Gold. I've heard enough negative comments about it, though, to avoid feeding it to my dogs. YOUR own experience may be different, however.

If you are looking for a good, high-quality low-preservative food for your dog - you may want to try Innova. I think the website is http://www.innova.com - if not, do a websearch for "innova dog food." The same company also sells California Natural - but that food is specifically for dogs which have severe food allergies.
I did a lot of dog food research recently and I can't remember the specifics of why, but I remembered being very unimpressed with Royal Canin and Solid Gold is excellent!

I personally feed Nature's Variety, but I would have no problem feeding Solid Gold (especially the Barking at the Moon variety)
They are both supposed to be premium foods.

Royal canin just recalled a bunch of their foods I believe
Solid gold is the better food, but their are food that are better, and you are not just restricted to having to feed puppy foods, you can also feed all stages foods like Canidae

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_...

This site ranks foods 6 stars are the very best but high in protein, if you are feeding a large breed pup need to choose a lower protein until they reach a year old, the solid gold hundenfloken lamb formula puppy food is a 5 star food, but their only formula rated at 5 stars, the barking at the Moon formula in rated 6 stars the rest of their formula are 4 stars

If you click on the review on the right of each food it explain why they rated
example this is the wolf cub puppy bison
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_...

Most of the Royal canin falls into the 2 star category
Solid Gold is definitely better and a great food choice. I use Innova which my dog loves. Another high quality food to consider is Canidae!

1 comment: