Monday, May 24, 2010

Help my chihuahuas from coyotes!!!!?

I have two 10 lb chihuahuas and they are being used as guard/watch dogs. They are kept at a property where no one currently lives. I sometimes stay there overnight but usually I go there every other day to refill their food/water bowls.

The worry is that althought it's fenced, the fence is only 4 feet high and I heard coyotes can jump 6-7 feet fence.

I have seen many coyotes lately in the area, even poop next to the fence. They have even dug holes near the property.

I am sorry worried because I recently lost a puppy %26 kitten to coyotes but my dad doesn't care. He says they will stay there until the property is sold.

I love my chihuahuas and have had them since they were 2 months old. So what can I do to protect them??? I don't have any money so if there's anything I can build or something..
Answers:
put homemade noise-makers around the property-why are they guard dogs anyway? coyotes only came o our place for food, so make sure you cover the food and they can't get near it. if you have wooden furniture you don't wat you can take it apart and build a small house with a very small doorway, so if coyotes get in they'll have some protection.
put them indoors at night or take them back to your house, get a friend to look after them or camp out in the garden, if you loved them as much as you said then you would do anything for them.
If you cannot be there to properly care for your animals, then you should find them a good home elseware. Im not trying to be rude, or hateful, but the fact of the matter is the animals need personal attention, good shelter, food, fresh water. Im sure you do love your animals - and if you really do love them, and can't take care of them because of reasons out of your control, then please do the right thing and find them a good home.
Don't leave them by themselves. They like people and only seeing you everyother day for food isn't enough. If you love them, take them to where you currently live and they will be safe from the coyotes!
Can you build a covered fence like a dog kennel!! Make it big enough that they can run around in and play. I can't see Chihuahuas being watch dogs but what ever works. See if you have some old fence laying around that you could build with. Coyotes if hungry enough will rip that kennel apart if you don't build it good!
We have a problems with Coyotes. We were told to hang soap like Irish Spring around our property to dissuade them from entering it. I really don't know if this works or not but after we did this we didn't see the coyotes any more.
Chihuahuas? For guard dogs? Excuse me. Okay, I'm back, had to wipe the tears away from laughing so hard. Of course coyotes can get over a four foot fence! Why are your pets not kept indoors where they will be safe?
Stop using them as watch dogs till you are sure the coyotes have left the area. Also you should feed them and give them water everyday not every other day.
Your dad obviously does not care for the dogs or your feelings towards the dogs. The dogs do not deserve to be left alone for days on end, they need a loving home with people who will give them attention everyday. Maybe you can have a friend look after them until you can have them back at home with you. Maybe you could stay at the other property until your dad realizes how much the dogs mean to you.
I have two chihuahuas and it has been my experience they ARE NOT THE GREATEST guard dogs in the world. They are more of a sound effect than anything. In fact we did a bit of an experiment with ours and they only bark fiercely to protect us (the family) when we are not home they'll bark for about two seconds and then they hide. Little chickens! Also I want to note that Chihuahuas can be very socially needy and will get hostile if their social needs are not filled. I live in Arizona where the coyote population is huge and we have had friends loose pets to coyotes and hawks find a way to get them home. Chihuahuas are really awesome companion pets!!!
Make an anonymous call to animal control to tell them the dogs aren't being cared for. They will hopefully take the dogs away. By making it an anomyous call, you can stay out of trouble with your dad and still make sure the dogs end up being cared for. As small dogs, they have a good chance of getting a GOOD new home.
Hi there, Your dad sounds like my step dad did. It sounds like he don't care if the dogs live or die. Do you have a family member that can talk to your dad? Tell your family what is going on, maybe someone can talk some since into him. Chihuahuas are inside dogs not outdoor dogs. See if one of your friends will go there and take the dogs and pretend like you have no clue what happened. I know it is not good to lie to your parents but rather than see your dogs die I'd try anything. Even if you know your dogs have to live somewhere else and you'll never get to see them again it is better than knowing they might get ate, and died in pain and suffering. I am so sorry your dad can't see how much this upsets you. I hope all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment