Monday, May 24, 2010

Help me with my 6 wk old puppy?

I need some help training my puppy to adjust to being confined of a nite time as she i still adjusting to suroundings and learning rules on NOT chewing... she will stay quiet for a few minutes then all hell brakes loose and i live in a small set of units and neighbours wil be disturbed and more importantly my gf and her 3yr old daughter and definatley my sleep. i was told to put my scent on her blanket as she will fall asleep in secinds on my lap... but that didnt help at all... open to all ideas.
Answers:
What worked when i got my puppy (he was 10 wks) is I put a lound clock ontop of his crate (one that ticks). I did not put it anywhere that he was able to get, but close so he could hear the ticking constantly. YOur puppy may also not recognize your smell so much. So maybe hold the puppy every once and a while, and then rub a stuffed animal 9about his size) on yourself, even your gf or son) and put it in his crate with him.
Is the crate small? If its not then he will pee and poop int he corner and sleep on the otherside. Look up CRATE TRAINING on the web. My dog is 7 months now and no longer sleeps in the crate. But for the 4.5 months i had him he did every night and now he sleep on the nice cold tile and doesn't even wake up or bother me all night.

Also, don't take the pup out of the crate when he cries. Some people like putting the crate in the room theys leep, he will smell you better.. I actually put the crate in a room far away so the whinning didn't bother me and eventually he got used to it!
don't let her out, she will adjust to it, it will just be Hell for about two to three weeks.
first congratulations in can imagine how sweet and cute you r baby is you need a lot of love and hope these help you
The Canine %26 Feline Behaviour Centre
your puppy is really too young to be away from its mother and the rest of the litter so you are going to have to be patient.
you might try a plastic pop bottle(small) filled with hot water and wrapped in a towel to put in with the pup at night. we used a sleep machine with womb sounds as white noise to calm the dog at night also. Really , please be patient.
6 weeks is very young to separate her from her littermates. She's afraid and lonely at night. All you can do is comfort her. When my 9 week old pup was going through this adjustment, I spent the first night sleeping on the floor with my hand on his crate. The next night I moved slightly away and then the next night more away. Eventually I got to the couch and in another week to my bedroom. That worked very well.

I've heard that you can try to comfort the pup with a hot water bottle wrapped in flannel and an oldfashioned clock that ticks. The clock reminds the pup of a heart beat and the hot water bottle mimics a warm body next to her.
It like trying to get your three year old to stay in bed you feel guilty as hell but you know that if you stick to it your eventually going to get a good nite sleep.
good luck.
You need to call the breeder where you got this puppy. Six weeks old is too young for a puppy to be away from its mother. Pups should be at least 8 or 9 weeks old before they are separated, and many states actually carry legal penalties for separating them too young.

Young pups, especially pups separated from their mothers too early, will whine and cry at night. It's what pups do. There are a lot of things you can do to help settle them down, but in the end, the thing that works best is to ignore it - and then praise them once they're quiet. A good bet for you would be to go and talk to all of your neighbors. Explain that you have a young puppy and *are* working on the problem, and that puppies usually stop once within a few weeks.

Some thing you can do to help puppy settle is to provide comfortable blankets, something with your scent on it, a ticking alarm clock, or a heat lamp.
It would have been easier if you adopted her at 8 weeks.
That way, she may have learnt more from her fellow siblings and her mother.

Try an alarm clock that ticks or a beating heart pillow (though those are more expensive)
She is 6 weeks old (which is pretty young for a puppy to be sold off, usually we wait until at least 7 or 8 weeks). How much would you expect to teach your 6 month old child? Exactly. Kids and dogs learn from repetition and positive reinforcement. Punishment is out of the question! Get that dog into puppy classes and then obedience, for your own sanity and the puppy's. Call your local humane society or PetsMart for their classes.
She is a puppy. Typical puppy behavior. And why on earth you bought or took a 6 week old puppy is beyond me. Any breeder who would allow a 6 week old puppy to leave it's litter and it's mother is far from responsible. This is like taking home a newborn baby. Would you expect a newborn to not cry? Give her time. When her brain is older and capable of learning she will be better. For now you need patience.
6 weeks is really young to be on her own, she should have been 8 weeks when given to you, but since you already have her, you should get her that stuffed dog that heats up and has a heart beat. Also other stuffed animals in with her will help her relax more and feel like she is not all alone. I have 3 dogs and have had this problem with every one when I first got them. Also, since she is so young you might want to consider letting her sleep with you for a few weeks until she is a bit older. The first puppy I had was way too young when I got her and I had to let her sleep with me for 3 weeks and then started putting her in a kennel. Also, don't let her fall asleep and then move her, when she wakes up alone she will more scared and more prone to barking or crying. Make sure she knows where she is before she falls asleep, so when she does wake up in the night she doesn't freak out. Oh and at her age she will probably have to go to the bathroom about 3 times in the night, so when she does wake up and cry, it would be best to get her outside to do her business before putting her back to bed. Hope this helps! and have fun with your new puppy!
You have some great suggestions here. Your pup is too young to be on her own. Poor baby. You might try adding a watch that ticks to her bedding with the hot water bottle. You might glean 6 hours before she whines again. At the 6 hour mark her baby tummy is crying. She is way too young to train. You have a few more weeks before she will be ready for much.
She is very young. Put a hot water bottle under her and a clock near by. Put your scent on a stuffed anamal and set her near it.
Are you putting her alone in another room at night? If so, she is SCARED. She is way toooooo young to be taken away from her mom (8wks at least). Try keeping her next to your bed. I had a pup once that had to be touching me in order to fall asleep, so I placed her box next to my side of the bed - that way I could just roll over onto my stomach and hang my arm over and into her box. I only had to do that for a week or so and she soon settled down and would go to sleep normally.

The chewing is a different issue -- she will be chewing for AT LEAST 6-7 months, so get used to it! They HAVE TO chew to get the baby teeth out. So keep the shoes, kid toys, etc UP, UP, UP for a long time. Keep lots and lots of chew toys around and rawhide 'pencils' -- they are thin and easy for little pups to chew on without hurting their gums.
A puppy is like having a baby. It misses you being around(since you are his daddy)
Also, puppies will not go where they know they have to sleep. Soooo, what I did was put a leash on my puppy(maybe 12 inches long) and put it in my bed. This is how I potty trained it also. I put a 12 inch leash and tied it to my ankle. Every day it was let out an inch. By the third week, my dog was potty trained. I raise Great Danes and sometimes they have an accident. So don't dismiss his whining. He's trying to tell you something. The punishment for ignoring his whining is...a wet bed. So a doggy pad is helpful. Just try to put yourself in his place. You are taken from your momma and now these big bad people are going to leave you alone in the dark? How would you feel?
Most six week old puppies sleep most of the time. I'm surprised that yours isn't. Try keeping her very busy for the last half hour or so before you want to go to bed.
I know that my Puppy Kindergarten students are all pleased with coming to school because, after the learning and the playing, it's the one night that the puppy collapses and sleeps through the night.
There's a good reason for you to seek a local, reputable trainer and join in the Puppy Kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment