Monday, May 24, 2010

Help me find the right puppy food.?

I have an 8 week old puppy and I am really struggling with what kind of food to give him... I want a high quality food, but im so sketchy what I get due to the recall. Any advice on what to feed him and why?
Answers:
Any of these foods are great for your new pup:
http://www.naturapet.com/
Innova, California Natural, Karm and Mother Nature. They are all natural, no by products, fillers or wheat gluten (recall).

Canidae is a little less expensive but is an amazing food:
http://www.canidae.com
Same thing, no by products fillers or wheat.

TimberWolf Organics is a really good food but it is expensive:
http://timberwolforganics.com/

Here is a list of the top 10 dog foods:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/toptenfoo...
(also has prices/weight/ingredients)

Stay away from Purina, IAMS, Eukanuba and Ol'Roy. Those are the worst foods ever. It's like feeding your dog mcdonalds everyday. With healthy food you get shiny coats and less poo.

Hope that helps and its good that you are looking into healthy foods!
The food recall was mostly in wet foods and you can see all the foods listed at www.menufoods.com.

Plus, the supplier with the contaminated product has been dumped by American companies.

Talk to your vet about which product to get.
iams smart puppy. its really good.
Congrats on your new baby! Get a food WITHOUT corn, wheat or soy (they are fillers) and NO by-products. I feed a holistic food, that comes right to my door--fresh--at less than 6 weeks old. Anything you buy off a shelf is going to be 6-18 MONTHS old. Scary, yes, I know!
I love natural balance. even though they had recalls they were the only people to pull the stuff before checking why it was making dogs sick(only 1 type of dog food had it). It is well priced since it has no fillers and come in hyproallergenic food types. I have 2 puppies on it one 7 months one is 5 months and they look great. They have alot of differant tasty meats that other don't offer lamb,salmon,duck . My hard to feed dog loves it and I have yet to complain.
purina-small bites, is the best food for puppies and full grown dogs...(dryFood)
http://www.naturapet.com/
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/...
http://www.canidae.com/
http://www.omhpet.com/

my basenji baby is on the solid gold hunflocken puppy. It is a great food! My cat is on wellness super 5 mix.
Did you get some food from the person you got the puppy from? Or can you find out what kind of food he was on? The reason I ask is that it will be easier on his stomache if you can blend in his old food that he's been used to eating along with whatever new food you decide on giving him. I had a lot of luck with Beneful. I think it's a good balanced food and it isn't so horribly expensive. When my dog was a puppy he was on Beneful and alternated with Puppy Chow. I was really surprised and pleased with the Puppy Chow. I wasn't expecting much because it's one of the cheaper foods out there. But, after looking at the ingredient list I found it has the same ingredient qualities as the more expensive brands. Now he's 3 yrs old. He's on the same Beneful and Dog Chow alternating. (When he kind of gets sick of one, then I change to the other every couple of months.) One thing to keep in mind when looking for dog food is no just the brands but the ingredients. For instance, he might like chicken and rice, rather than beef and vegetable. (Just an example) Good luck.
I personally like to give my chihuahuas the Royal Canin brand that is specially made for their breed. You could try it on your breed of dog because they have just about every breed. You could also try something cheaper like Iams Smart Puppy or Purina Little Bites-for indoor dogs-, which I have used before and I really liked them also.
The best dog foods I can recommend are Innova, California Natural, Solid Gold and Canidae. Extremely high quality, health, human grade food that is NOT effected by the pet food recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment