Monday, May 24, 2010

Help for paper training older dog.?

My dachshund will be 8 years old this summer. I got him from a rescue about a year ago. I am having the hardest time getting him housetrained. Unfortunately, my new place doesn't have a yard, or a place he can go outside on his own. At night while I'm sleeping, or if I'm at home he can go the entire time with no accidents. He'll go when I take him out, or he'll sit at the door to let me know he needs out. However, if I'm not at home, more often than not he'll go right in the middle of the living room floor. My carpet is already stained from his accidents and I'm at my wit's end. I'd like to at least have him trained to go on the paper (whether I'm there or not) but he seems to want none of it. I've tried giving him treats and abundant praise when he goes outside, and telling him no when he goes inside (not yelling) but it's tough when it's after the fact. Please don't advise crating him; I don't want him confined in a small space all day.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Answers:
You need some particular work to train your dogs, i know a one may help you,
http://dogstraining.info
wish you find more useful things!

BEST REGARDS!
shoot it
I think you have done really so well and love your heart for taking him in BUT he obviously doesn't like being left alone and probably something scares him which is why he is leaving you the poo. The only thing I can suggest is you leave him for really short times (ten minutes to start) and every time you come back prasie him like mad if he hasn't had an accident . He will gradually realise you ARE COMING BACK and hopefully this will do the trick. I leave my TV on for my dog but in all truth I only leave him for a couple of hours at the most. They are pack animals and really prefer company. All my love to you both xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p.s. you could try getting him to go on paper when you are outside and see if that helps
Maybe you can keep him in one room, while you are gone. Preferably, one that has tile flooring, for easy clean-up? More room than if you were to put him in a crate.

No comments:

Post a Comment