Friday, May 21, 2010

Hawks and my puppy?

We live in an area with several chicken hawks (and a falcon who's mate drowned in our pool last year) and I'm paranoid that my 7.3pound puppy will one day be taken from the back yard. Should I be this horriby terrified that it will happen? Is the fear unfounded?

I love letting her run around and play outside (the yard is bloody huge) but making her come in at the first sign of large, circling birds feels cruel.
Answers:
You really have to be careful these days. Hawks are definitely something that can hurt your pup. However coyotes are a bigger threat. They have spread their range and adapted well. I've seen them in NYC, Boston and Chicago. You really have to watch your pup carefully. Coyotes can go over a 6' fence.
Better safe than sorry, right? It is definitely a possibility and don't count it out that this won't happen. You're a good fur-parent to be worrying. Many people just don't think it will happen to them.
it is possible they could take your dog
I'd say that you should be concerned. I saw on the news a few weeks ago that a boy had to beat off a large predatory bird from his deck when the bird tried to swoop off with the family's dachshund puppy.
your 7 pound puppy should never be outside unattended.
I think it is OK to worry. I live in the country and we have 2 huge owls that stay close by. I am afraid to leave my little Chi out alone after dark for bathroom breaks. I have seen these owls try to pick up a fawn so I know my little baby would be nothing for them to grab and run. Please be careful!!! I don't know what you could do to keep the birds away. Good Luck!!!
No, it's not unfounded.

My aunt used to live in Utah and had a small dog. She would have to watch him when he went out because there was a hawk (or hawks) that would try to get him.

I don't know if the hawk could actually pick him up, but he could get hurt with the talons. Extra caution can't hurt.
Your absolutely right to worry - a 7.3 LB puppy is about the same size as a large rabbit - The favorite snack of birds of prey.

Never leave the puppy outside unattended. If the bird sees you out there, it will likely turn the other way.

As far as fencing - A covered dog run is a great idea. Home Depot sells 6x6 pre-made chain link panels that you clamp together (No concrete is necessary) and you can also use them on top as well as the sides (They sell Gate panels too).
It is not cruel to bring her in if you think there is a possability of trouble. You are being responsable.
an alternative would be to stay out with her when you see the birds and follow her around or play with her. When they start to get low, call her to you and take her in. They should leave her alone as long as you are very close to her.
If you feel she needs to go in, by all means do, and play with her indoors.
Also, note what times they circle and try to figure out thier timing...
Keep being cautious. Always stay outside with him so if a bird swoops you can jump in and give the bird a good smack on the wing. or just scare it away haha. If it ever has to come to that though bring him in obviously. :P sounds like youre doing a good job.
It can happen. I always supervise my puppies outside because of birds of prey and other wild animals. The presence of a human keeps them away.
Many breeders put pups outside in puppy runs with a COVER on top because of the possibility of hawks swooping down on them.
For people like unstoppable - your ignorance is showing - It can happen and has happened, my mom had in the same afternoon a cat and a dog taken by a hawk, so just be careful and if you can watch your dog when it is let outside.

Also be careful when you let them outside at night as well.
shoot the fickers!!!!
put up an ENCLOSED fence and you won't have to worry anymore!
I have four chihuahua's: one is 6.5lbs, two are 4.5lbs and one is 3.0lbs. We have a solid picket four foot high fence, we buried patio stones around the bottom of the fence and under the gates so they couldn't dig out or get out through any holes. We have hawks too and do not leave the dogs outside unattended. There are things you can use to deter hawks such as shimmery things like CD's, they also make balloon type things with a huge eye ball on it that is supposed to help. But please do not trust anything to protect your dog stay outside with her. We trained ours so that if a hawk is flying over all we have to do is say inside and they run to the door. The fear is not unfounded it can happen so be careful.
I read this in a book on hawks and for some reason, it stuck in my head. Anything smaller than a groundhog could become prey to a hawk. I think you're wise to keep an eye on your pup if you have that much raptor activity around your back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment