Friday, May 21, 2010

Have you had to euthanize your dog for an innocent bite?

My neighbour fell onto my dog when he went to pet him. My dog reacted and bit my neighbour (7yr. old) and is now in quarnantine. I'm having such a hard time dealing with this - no matter what the OSPCA recommends, I really have no choice but to euthanize my dog. Just seems so unfair but has to be done. How did you cope?
Answers:
I am sorry bout the dog. If your neighbor fell on him, it wasn't the dogs fault. I would think you could fight that. I would try. I have never had my dog bite anyone, but have had to euthanize him. If you have never done this..PLEASE take my advice and don't watch this being done. Say your good byes before and leave the room. My rottie was sick and I had to put him to sleep. It was something I will NEVER forget. You just watch the life go right out of them. Brings tears to my eyes just remembering. If this is something you have to do.please know it is better for you to say bye first. Remember him as he was. Good luck.
The law is an a.s.s
My dog developed a disease, and in her misery, she became unusually aggressive towards us...I had no choice but to put her down. It was heart-wrenching, and I don't think I'll ever get over it completely. We just try to remember her in the best of light. And we have a very cute picture of her in the living room, next to her "headstone" plaque
Why do you have no choice?? Is your neighbor sueing?? I would wait out the quarantine, talk to the SPCA AND a Lawyer. If this was a bite in self defence for the dog, there is no reason to put him down. Your neighbor probably hurt or scared the dog. Sometimes it is recognized if the dog has had no previous complaints. Good luck!
I'd sue the neighbor for trespassing.

I was in a similar situation when my dog went after kids who were throwing chunks of cinder-block at her. I was able to point out to the police where the chunks of cinder-block came from; next to my garage, and clearly within my property.

The cop told the parents if they went after me for the dog attacking their kids, that I could sue them for trespass and destruction of personal property. Needless to say, they backed down.
I had to put my dog down for tongue cancer, but my dog has bitten my neighbors kid once. They were teasing my dogs and the neighbor had no problem with it. The dog probably felt threatened. The kid should just stop petting your dog and move on, I mean honestly. The government needs to get more hobbies than just putting innocent dogs down. I'm telling you right now, your dog is not dangerous. I'm sure the child has bitten someone before and did he get killed for being aggressive or dangerous? I dont think so considering he's still alive. Whatever you do, do not euthanize your dog. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DONE. At least try to offer to take your dog to obedience classes.
It is only a natural instinct for a dog to 'attack' when feeling threatened. As your neighbour fell on your dog it is likely your dog felt threatened and reacted on instinct. This is a far sight different to a dog acting viciously and actually chasing a person with the intention of biting them. Don't be in any hurry to have your dog euthanized, seek legal advice. Surely there must be a voice of reason in this whole incident. Also, you may wish to talk to your vet, he/she may have heard of other similar incidences and be able to offer you some advice.
Good luck - it would be a huge injustice for your dog and you to suffer just because of the neighbours accident and a natural instinct on your dogs part.
Well sue the neighbour for tresspassing and hurting the dog. It was just self defense. They have no right to euthanize the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment