Sunday, August 2, 2009

Has crate training been successful with your puppy/dog?

i have found that it really does not work for my 3 month old puppy. It drives him to madness when he is in there, he also started to pee in there. I have started to leave him in the kitchen and he is a lot happier and 9 times out of 10 will pee on his peepad. Does everyone agree with crate training?
Answers:
I know I will get a lot of thumbs down ratings for this answer , but I strongly disagree with crating. A lot of people argue that dogs need a place where they feel secure. They don't need a crate to feel secure, they need to know that their human(s) have their [stuff] together. I have never met a crated dog that didn't have some type of mental problem. I have three dogs, none of which have ever been crated. Two of them stay in the house all day while I'm at work, and they never relieve themselves indoors. As far as housebreaking, puppies will have accidents. Their bladders can't hold it for more than a couple of hours. It just takes a little dedication and a lot of praise to housebreak them.
I love crate training! My three year old dog is crate trained and loves his crate. It is not a bad place, but a safe space for him to be. He is in it at night and when we are out. It keeps him out of trouble and if there were an emergency, we know exactly where he is.
Crate training is more secure then your kitchen, because it's alll confined. Dogs also need a place to feel safe in. In your kitchen you are using a gate right? Any dog can jump over those or even bust them down. I always tell my dogs go to bed then give them a treat once they are in their crates. So now thye willingly go into their crates and alot of times just lay in them on their own too.
you have to be consistant
you cant leave him in there for more than 8hrs
when you let him out, take him straight outside
It does work and for some it is very good thing to do. I have never done it my self because I'm home all day to care for my dogs. When they were little I just used a puppy corral. It worked for me but for people who work a crate is still the best training tool to use.
I am interested to follow this one, as I am about to begin crate training my 9 week old pup. Have never done it before.
What are the problems you have found with it? Have you ever crate trained before?
I love crate training! The best thing I did for my dog. He knows now not to pee in his crate and loves the crate to death. It took alot of work but if you do it right it can be helpful.
Hello...well sophi..we have trained many a dog to crates or a space...never had a failure yet...they all grew to love them..there are tricks... it takes time %26 patience..chances are you're one who let the dog train you ..LOL !! Take Care P.S Tango or any one else..I'm going to post the How To's for Crate %26 Potty Training, if you need the Adult Dog course posted, you can also E Mail me as I don't like to post long or big posts in here much :)
CRATE or SPACE POTTY TRAINING : the crate or Doggie Space need only be big enough for the dog to turn, stand %26 stretch..if you have a puppy that will be a big dog.. buy a big crate %26 block it off so it fits the size of the puppy/dog ( height is not mattering as much as the floor space )...or just create a confined space for the puppy or dog, just it's size..dogs don't usually like to potty where they sleep..but puppies will have "Accidents" then you have to let the dog finish ( no running @ the dog or pup or all it's gonna do take off running, making a bigger mess, scare the heck out of the dog %26 make him mistrust you ~ Not Good ! ) then you pick the dog %26 the accident up..take the dog out to the spot you want the dog to go %26 let them know this is the spot...if %26 when the dog goes where it's suppose to ..lots of praise, good dog %26 chest rub ( a dogs favorite place to get a scratch ) ! Also NEVER allow anyone or even another dog @ this time to play or bother the dog while in the crate or space..it is this dogs haven %26 peace space ONLY !!!

FEEDING SCHEDULE : they MUST be on a feeding %26 water schedule..puppies 2 or 3 times a day ( like breakfast, lunch %26 dinner ) adult dogs, one or 2 times a day..food %26 water for 15 minutes, if they don't eat, put it up till the next feeding time.. as they get control.. then, you can leave more water down.. they generally potty 20 - 30 minutes after eating %26/or after a good play so that's another good time to take them out to the Doggie Outhouse :)..if your dog is particularly stubborn %26 goes before you get them out..then you carry them to the potty spot or leash them if too big to carry, then quickly take them out ( like it's a play time ) don't let them sniff ..till they are outside !!! If they don't go in 15 minutes, then you crate or contain them for another 20 - 30 minutes %26 take them out..chances are they will whine some, especially puppies, but you have to wait for another 20 or 30 minutes...so they learn..ANY kind of training is patience, schedule, repetitiveness, Lots O Praise %26 sometimes tiny treats ( like you see on dog shows ) when they do as they are suppose to... firm NO's when they do wrong..NEVER yelling, chasing or running at them %26 NEVER use or let them know your using the crate as punishment, gently, kindly %26 nicely put them in their crate or space %26 still hand them the treat !!! Treat your pets ( especially dogs ) as you would want to be treated..if you like to be hit, yelled at or chased, something's wrong in your Life ~ There are no bad dogs, just bad owners !! Dog understand tones in your voice %26 actions, not words, that is why you can NEVER yell, hit or run @ them, etc with agressive type dogs or when meeting them say for adoption, you can't smile at them cuz to them TEETH showing is agression !!! Take Care %26 Peace :)
i agree with crate training.
1. it teaches them to be in one for short to long peroids of time, like going on trips in the crate or you being out of the house.
2. if you keep him in there a lot, it will teach him not to soil his sleeping quarters. dogs dont like sleeping where their peeing and pooing, do you?
3. dogs were domesticated from wolves you know, and wolves sleep in dens, dogs carry on that trait of sleeping in a den, and crate acts like one. once your dog gets a little older, he can sleep out of it of course.

we have a big crate that we put my dogs in if the behave badly, we go out, or sometimes when we go to bed and we dont want him roaming around the house peeing and pooing. it works for us and it should work for you.

good luck!!
you aren't doing it right.
well my 2 lhasa apsos know when its time to go to bed we always say "lets go sleepy" and they go stright to their cages if he has fits i would say put him in there when you are not trying to sleep so he knows that if he barks you wont let him out because i he barks and has a fit and you let him out then he will continue to keep doing that. as far as the peeing i would suggest a smaller cage because then he knows that if he uses the bathroom it will get on hin so then he wont pee on one side and sleep in the other. see what im saying???
Your puppy is awfully young. It's always worked for me and I rescue dogs. I don't agree with pee pads and letting a dog go in the house.
If used properly, a crate is a very important training tool. All 6 of my dogs are crate trained and I couldn't be happier with it. They have cut the amount of time it takes to potty train in half. The biggest mistake that I have seen people do with crates is use too big of a size and not ignore the puppy when it makes noise while in it. If the crate is too big the puppy will potty in it, and if you don't ignore them when they are making noise in the crate they will learn that making noise gets them attention. It can take a month or two for them to get used to the crate, and 3 months is still very young so just give it time.
Crate training works for me.. Not only does it help to get them housetrained quickly, but it gives them a safe place to be if I have to leave. I don't worry about them getting into anything and getting hurt.. Crate training I believe is necessary.. Even if you don't use the crate all the time, just having them used to being in there is a good idea.. You might need to have them in a crate one day for whatever reason.
For puppies, you cant leave them in there for more than 3 hours at a time! They have small bladders and they can't hold it in just yet! Do not leave water or food at all times. After feeding expect to take him out 3 hours later. For puppies that how long it will take for them to digest their food!
Dogs need routine, and now is a good time to start! You need to make a routine schedule. Time to walk, time to feed and water.everyday! Same time EVERYDAY! Lessen the time in crate as they get older, when bladders are bigger and able to hold more!
My Mom got a puppy recently and the vet told her to get a 20 oz. drink bottle and fill it with hot water and a small towel then put it in her crate and she would think it was another puppy in the litter. She told momma that it would only take a few days for her puppy to feel secure in her crate. But you can not go into her crate for any reason because that is her safe place. You have to wait until it is out of the room to clean it so the puppy doesn't see you messing with it. So far, it has worked. If Zada gets scared or anything she goes to her crate and will not come out until she is ready.
I have crate trained every dog I have ever owned or fostered. I think they are great not only for housebreaking but to keep the dog safe and from destroying my home.
If your puppy is having problems you could be keeping him in the crate too long and it may be too big for your dog. I would never use those pads because they teach the dog to use it in the house and I know too many people who have dogs that are not 100% house broken because of using those pee pads.
I had great success with crate training. My dog loves his crate. I wonder if your crate is large enough for your dog. Also, I put an old towel on the bottom of the crate for him to sleep on and change it every couple of days so it does not get stinky. How long do you leave him in there? You have to let him have playtime and outside time. When my dog was a pup I took him for a good long walk at least twice a day. Now that he's older, he is allowed freedom unless we leave him home alone, or over night. At night, when I start locking the doors he just goes to his crate and lays down. When we are getting ready to go somewhere usually we have to get him out of his cage to take him outside before we leave.

Personally, I do not like the peepads because they are still wetting inside and not outside. You really should take the pup outside every 2-3 hours during the day. With my dog, I would take away his food and water an hour before bed and that way he could stay in longer and I would get up in the night and take him outside.

I would say that by 6 months he should be having very few accidents in the house. When my dog needs out at night, he barks until I get up, but I think he was about 8 months and he was able to be locked up overnight.

All that said, if he seems to get along better in the kitchen, and it works for you then keep him there. Still, I would get rid of the peepad and get him outside.

Hope this helps,
Good Luck
At someone's suggestion, I used a crate to train a new pup. I had never used one before %26 I've had dogs all my life. So I took a shot %26, while I understood the concept, I hated it %26 the pooch wasn't too fond of it, either. He was miserable. He never got used to it, it never became his haven, the training was incomplete, %26 I'll never use one again.
I think it really depends on the dog. I have 3 English Springer Spaniels and all of them were crate trained 2 were very easy to crate train and one was very difficult. She is pretty high strung where the others are laid back. However now that they are older they love their crates. Its their safe place. The great thing about crate training is now they are fully potty trained!!! We could leave them loose in the house for 12 hrs and they will not have an accident. It takes a lot of determination and patience but it works!!! or at least it did for me.
I agree with crate training.

All six of my dogs are crate trained.

I do NOT agree with using pee pads and letting the dog learn that it is ok to pee in the house.

He is peeing in his crate because you are not being dilligent in taking him out and letting him go potty. You have to watch and make sure he goes.
I highly recommend crate training. As far as the wetting in his cage...it will pass, dogs generly don't like to pee where they sleep. I use my crate for alot of things...It's good for punishment. But remember you have to always reward for good behavior and consistancy is key. Puppies are like a child when potty training..Takes ALOT of patients so hold in there and don't let your puppy have his way or he'll never mind.

3 Shar-Pei's
Ling
Grunt
Pugsley
1 Pug
Mister Hankey
It doesn't always work with some dogs. My husband and I purchased an 11 week old golden retriever puppy from another state, and the breeder, to save money, put the poor guy in a crate and shipped him to Texas and then to us in Colorado. He was in the crate for 9 hours, had fouled himself and the crate, and was howling in abject misery when we arrived at the airport to pick him up. Now he won't go near a crate, and just the sight of the one he arrived in freaked him out so much that we had to throw it out.

However, we were easily able to housebreak him, took him to puppy kindergarten and taught him manners, and now he sleeps on his own bed downstairs every night without a whimper. He stays in the house all day while we're gone and has a dog door out into the garage where he can go to the bathroom, and I have to say he's never destroyed anything and we don't hear from the neighbors that he barks.

If it doesn't work for your puppy, don't force him to do it, put him in the kitchen. Sounds like he's comfortable there and you sound like you don't mind it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment