Sunday, August 2, 2009

Has anyone had to deal with paws program when adopting a dog?

I lost my dog last month .He was a little over 14.I saw this dog thruogh paws program and I really wanted it.I have a large home and large back yard with a brick fence.I dont leave my dogs outside he would be with me. Well the first week the foster mom was hard to get ahold of but I did and she made a appointment with me .She than called and cancelled it.She sent me pitures of him.I got excited and left her a bunch of messages telling her that I wanted him.Well its been since the first of the month and she has not called me back.He is still on the site and is up for adoption.What I am wondering is if anyone else had this problem? I cant see what I have done wrong do deserve being treated so badly. I told the paws people what was going on and they didnt care.Its going to take me along time to find another dog. because I dont like buying from breeders.I think that there is to many homeless dogs alraedy .What do you think? Also I had agreed for them to check my home
Answers:
I feel your pain. I actually rescue dogs myself and generally the adoptive family is chosen by the foster family since they know the dog best. If the foster mom didn't take a liking to you right away, you may not have a chance. My advice is to be persistant and show the foster mom that you are not giving up and ask her to at least do a home visit. Not giving up bodes well and I know fosters that act like this at first just to see if the potential owner is really serious. Keep calling and don't give up until the dog is adopted either by you or someone else.
That is the same run around my husband and I experienced when trying to rescue a dog. We applied for several dogs through various local rescue groups. The applications took hours, I swear we could have adopted a child with less information, and then they would never call us back. Or if they did call back they would have some BS excuse why we couldn't have the dog. One dog we applied for is still up for adoption two years later. What is the sense in that? After months of this we just contacted the local Poodle Club and bought the best mini poodle we could have ever hoped for. We love him so much and he brought us so much joy we bought another dog for him from the same breeder a few months ago. It turned out wonderfully, but there was a lot of frustration at first.
I think maybe they are giving you a cooling off period to make sure you are serious.. Some people are all gung ho and if you slow things down, they rush off and buy a dog somewhere else.. Then you find out that they are wishy washy.. If you are still serious a month later and contact them, they are likely going to get in contact with you and tell you that they are ready to come and do a home check..

I have seen it many times.. People wanting a dog Right this very minute.. NOW.. And if you are busy or doing something, and make an appointment to see them in a week.. You give them a call and suddenly they rushed out and bought the first dog they saw.. It happens all the time.. If you are willing to wait and put up with them they will realize that you aren't one of the wishy washy ones and are someone who is serious..

I might be way wrong and maybe they are busy or they didn't like something they heard, or they aren't interested in adopting out dogs. But in my experience sometimes it's good to put people on hold cause you find out a whole lot about them. Either that they are wishy washy or they have a temper and will call with some nasty thing they want to say.. But you find out pretty quick what people are like when they don't get what they want immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment