Sunday, August 2, 2009

Has anyone flown with their dog before?

I am flying from florida to maryland with my dog in june. she will be in the cabin with me. i've heard about meds that the vet can give me and about aromatherapy stuff that is supposed to calm the dog. just wondering if anyone has tried these products with any success or if anyone has other suggestions. thanks!
Answers:
i flown with my dog to and from europe on a 9 hour flight in cabin with me,,, i gave her a pill that the vet told me to made sure she had a bone with her so when she got an attack of nerves she can chew on it, a blanket or something shes familiar with so she has a familiar smell. and in my case since it was such a long flight i gave her some water the last few hours
I wouldn't use any of that stuff, but check with the vet when you go to get the health certificate. BTW you still need a health certificate even with the dog going into the cabin with you
How does your dog do in her crate in the car on a longer than normal car ride?
If you think about that question and you know that she does okay for extended periods of time in her crate in the car, then you have a pretty good idea that she will do okay in her crate on the plane.
But if she does do not do so well in her crate in the car, you may want to consider a light sedative or anxiety pill your veterinarian can give you to give to her the day of the flight.

When I flew with my 12 pound dog, she mostly slept in her crate. I put in her favorite toy and a chew treat, and although she was curious as to what was happening on take off, she settled down and was okay afterwards. I would never tranquilize my dogs, and I have had to fly show dogs all over and I have even flown with my service dog nineteen times so far.

You just have to take in to consideration how you think your dog will handle it.
I have flown w/ my mini schnauzer several times. One time I did give her a tranquilizer pill, but it left her a bit groggy. Get some Nature's Remedy to take along, just in case she gets anxious. You cannot overdose, and it works fairly quickly.
Also, when you go thru security, take your dog out of the carrier, and carry her thru. The first time I flew w/ my dog, I left her in the carrier thru the x-ray machine. The x-rays didn't hurt her, but the female screener let out a loud yelp when she saw movement! I could just imagine her seeing a skeleton, w/ a wagging tail!

No comments:

Post a Comment