Sunday, August 2, 2009

Has anyone seen any problems show up in their dogs from feeding them table food?


Answers:
Feeding a dog table scraps usually leads to weight gain, health issues such as chemical imbalance- kidney, urinary problems, and ultimately shortens their lifespan. Our vets absolutely do not recommend giving your animals table scraps simply because it is going to make more health problems arise for the dog and many could be major. Please don't feed them tablescraps!
How about acute enteritis, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction and death?
Yes, they are not made for it. Dogs can't digest potatoes. Onions and garlic are poisonous to them as are lots and lots of other foods.

Please look at the links.

http://www.dogchatforum.com/foods-not-fo...


http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/stor...
I like to sneek and give my dog table scrapps, but my hubby gets mad because when he scoops the poop, he says its runny, and my dog also has more gas when I do this. So I'm gonna try and stop, but its so hard, I hate to throw food out, and he beggs me. Sounds silly but I want him to know what I'm eating, how good it is, maybe its just the sharing the meal together thats enjoyable, but I dont want him to become obese so I must stop this.
I have heard of one case where too much people food almost caused a dogs stomach to explode-it was so full of the bad stuff. A little bit of people food-like cooked meat (a bite or two) is okay once in awhile, no chocolate-it is poison to a dog. We used to put a raw egg on top of our dog's moist dog food once in awhile for a treat-and to help keep her coat shiny. Take care.
Yes, my mother in law has to have her dog on a special prescription dog food because she kept feeding it all kinds of table food. It developed all kinds of food allergies. Be careful what you feed your dog. Developing allergies is one of the milder things that can happen to a dog from certain foods. You aren't doing your dog any favors by feeding it from the table.
I train my dogs and compete with them in Agility, and so I must use amazing treats to train them. If I tried to teach them those behaviors using kibble as the only reward, my dogs would have sold me on eBay a long time ago. So, in training, they do get salmon, diced chicken, steak, french toast, and so on. But, they don't then beg at the table - because I always ignored them completely when they tried that behavior. They've given up on the begging.
what on earth do all for u think dogs where fed before pet food companies? and these where dogs that worked for a living..most of the time. and lots lived a long time.

top notch dog food has meat first. not wheat or corn. dogs get fat mostly because they are not exersized enough and /or the eat high carb foods like the wheat.

I have fed table scraps to my dogs for 20 years not counting my mother and my grandmother and a aunt who cooks for her dogs. all of our dogs have lived in to their mid to late teens with little health problems. i'm not saying they should have EVER piece of scrap. no pork or ham no cooked bones ever. i give big soup bones about once a week and take them away once the marrow is gone. or get smoked pig ones from the butcher. mine get all kinds of veggies and a little garlic every other day...in the summer to keep the bitter bugs away. i also have stopped feeding any kibble and have notcied i clean the yard less cause they only poo once a day not twice with one being the runs.

every one has their own thought on this. from raw to homecooked meals to mixed meal with dog food scraps and home cooked just for the dog. and who's to say one person or idea is right or wrong.
the only sure thing is dogs need meat.

ohhh and my dogs don't begg they are not allowed to.
Well my food hound pomeranian expects it now and paces around the table when eating. Do not let them associate dinner time with getting fed. My other dogs are very patient even though they have the same upbringing. The pomeranian loves her food. and is always under my feet while cooking too.
oh lets see obesity, diarrhea, choking, vomit, heart problems if done at a long period of time,digestive problems,skin problems, and the list goes on and on. do your self a favor don't feed your dog table food stick with dog food that's why we have at pet stores. to buy pet food.
I have a 12 yr old daushaund and I have always gave her ppl food as well as her dog food.. she is just fine...
JeN is correct.
My friend has a poodle who kept getting sick. On one of it's last vet visits my friend asked me to go in with the poodle as she didn't want to hear what the vet was going to say. .. . . And the vet said "I keep telling her to quit giving that dog table food,it's dying from pancreatitis".
My friend never did quit feeding her dog table food and the dog's life was truly shortened much to my friends grief as she was never able to have children and this dog was "her baby".
(She just never had the heart to take food away from the dog that the dog seemed to love.)
none with our dogs and one of them is going on 15 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment