Sunday, August 2, 2009

Has anyone tried to introduce a cat that has been living with them for a long time to a new puppy?


Answers:
Yes... and it truly does depend on the cat. When my family introduced a new puppy to our three cats, we got three reactions: the eldest kitty understood that the puppy was a puppy and when she swiped at him, she wouldn't use claws; the next eldest saw the dog as a threat and would chase it around our backyard (it was great for laughs--this twelve-pound cat chasing a 50-pound dog); and our youngest cat would run away from it. Eventually, they all found their groove, but the cats never really accepted the dog's place in the family.
usually a cat will accept a new puppy okay. Just introduce them slowly at first.
take it slow is the best answer.give the cat alot of attention don't focus completely on the puppy or the cat will become jealous...train the puppy to stay away from the cat's food and litter box and same for the cat teach it not to go near the dogs food and water and toys.that way they will learn the other's limits and respect the other's belongings.just let the cat get used to the puppy as the pup gets older the cat will become more comfortable with the pup but whil its still in the puppy stages the cat may get slightly defenceive just correct the cat if it begins to attack the puppy
it depends on the cat, but i introduced my 4 year old cat to our puppy (a few years ago), and now they love eachother. i let the cat see the puppy for a few days before they got to be close together. dont force them. introduce slowly.
YES! I introduced my cat to 3 different puppies at different stages of my cat's life. The first puppy was introduced when my cat was about a year old. The second time it was when my cat was 15 years old. Now he is 17 and we got another puppy (less than a year old but older than 6 months) about 5 weeks ago. The cat growls a little and sometimes hisses, but we discourage the dogs from harrassing my old kitty. The first puppy had to be growled at a few times and hissed at to get the message. My first puppy and cat became best friends eventually and slept together all the time. My cat would clean his head and does the same for my second dog too. My cat didn't like my second dog at first but eventually they slept in a dog bed together and sometimes still do. Now that we have two young dogs, they pretty much play with each other and leave the cat alone. My kitty has adjusted pretty well over the past 17 years. It seemed at first, with each dog, that they would never get along. Eventually they did! I hope this answers your question!
yes but it takes awhile! When i brought my new dog in i kept them separate for awhile but gradually let the cat spend more and more time in the rest of the house..they love each other now and play all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment