Friday, May 8, 2009

Flea and tick medication.. Advantix/Frontline Plus/Hartz?

Alright, it's flea season again and two of my dogs have already gotton ticks. I was wondering if somebody could tell me their experiences with any of the above medications. I've heard that Hartz could kill dogs and that Frontline doesn't work. I haven't heard anything on Advantix.. but it's extremely expencive.

Also, do flea collars really work? I'm thinking of getting my dog one.. thanks!
Answers:
Do NOT use ANY OTC flea product including flea collars. They are ineffective at best and can cause serious skin irritation, skin burns, neurological issues, seizures and death.

The OTC products, including Hartz, Zodiac, Sentry, Bio-Spot, etc, are just as dangerous for dogs as for cats. (also Hartz for cats is still very much sold in stores it has NOT been taken off the market)We've seen a lot of serious problems at the hospital caused by OTC flea products in both dogs %26 cats.

Frontline Plus works very well for fleas %26 ticks. I live in "ticksville" and have used Frontline Plus for years with great success. Also Frontline doesn't go into the dogs bloodstream..it stays in the hair folicles and oil glands of the skin.
get frontline and skip the flea collars
We have four little dogs and we always use frontline onthem and we have found it 100% effective. jo
I got my pup a flea collar when he was 7 weeks since it was the only thing I could find safe for puppies and 5 weeks later, he hasn't had any ticks on him, so I'd say it's working well.
Also, a coworker told me about a spot-on treatment like Advantix and Frontline called BioSpot that she has started using on her dogs and she said it has worked very well- and it's a lot cheaper than the other two. Hope this helps!
actaully frontline does work. i use this on my dog ALL the time. i work @ a vets office. i really wouldnt reccomend using Hartz. there are side effects that COULD kill your dog. but the chances in the are VERY slim. but i dont think its that good of a product. try using frontline. if your dogs already have ticks and/or fleas, then it will take a little while for ANY medication to start wokring. but within 12 hours, ALL of the fleas and ticks SHOULD be dead. flea collars in my opinion dont really work. i belive that people just put that on the pets cause they dont want to take the trouble and put on the meds themselfs. im sure thats not true, but thats just how i feel. i would say skip the flea collars. Good Luck. And God Bless鈾?
Before applying any topical flea pesticide, read up on the active ingredient and its side effects...neurotoxins can be quite dangerous.
I've used Frontline Plus and had good luck with it almost all the time. There have been a couple of times when the fleas were just so active that it didn't last all month. Never had much luck with flea collars. As far as ticks, I check my dogs every day, but if I happen to miss a tick, I find a dead tick later, thanks to the Frontline Plus.
In my experience, Frontline is the best you can get. Flea collars never worked for my Dalmatian so Frontline was the next best thing.
I think you definitely heard wrong about Frontline. It is one of the most effective and safe flea and tick preventative on the market. It is expensive, but it is a great product.
I don't really have much experience with the rest.
The biggest problem with Hartz was not with dogs so much, but with cats. It has killed many cats. So many that Hartz for cats has been taken off the market. I don't really know how effective Hartz is, especially against ticks, but alot of people use it. Personally, Hartz scares me because I have seen so many problems with the toxic effect it has on cats and the fact that it took so long for it to be removed from the shelves.
It would take a really great product to lure me away from Frontline, but you can let your vet help you make this choice.
I have used frontline plus on my dog for 6 years. She has never had any problems with fleas or ticks. She also has sensitive skin and the frontline has never caused any issues. Also use it on the 2 younger dogs and for the cat as well. No problems with fleas or skin reactions due to the medication.
Flea collars only work for the area right around their neck. Also, there is a greater chances of your dog slipping it off and chewing it, plus do you really want to be touching it any time you pet your dog?

Hartz, Zodiac, and Spot-On are bad news. I have not heard anyhting bad about Frontline

I personally use Advantage, but it does not prevent ticks, which seems to be your problem. My vet recommended against K-9 Advantix b/c it has a powerful pesticide (primarily for the anti-tick purposes) that can be harmful to pregnant women and young children.

I have seen some things online about Permethrin-10, but do not know a whole lot about it. You may want to ask your vet.
I have used both Frontline, Advantage and some other knock off brands (Hartz %26 another pet store brand). The knock off ones I have found left my dogs fur discolored where it was applied and the hair never returned to the normal color. Never heard of any animals dying from any of them. The Frontline Plus %26 Advantage both work great from my experience. The difference was that the Advantage was really only applicable for fleas. Frontline was good for mosquitoes, fleas, %26 ticks. I have heard from some vet personnel that Advantix works good too , but have not tried it. I was reccommended to try Revolution, but no one has been able to tell me the long term affect on the dog. I thought it covered to much any way. Good luck deciding. You may have to try them on your animal for 3-6 month time and see which one is the most effective. I also have never had any luck with flea collars of any brand. Most effective has been Advantage or Frontline + .
Advantix is supposed to be the best one,but I dont think any of them work the flea collars are just the same.Get your house and yard fumigated,And do your dogs at the same time with flea and tick shampoo + check your dogs daily for ticks.If you find ticks on dogs or in yard put them in metholated spirits whick kills them,dont forget use tweezers to pick ticks out because you have to get the whole tick especially the head...Liz.
Read this article this may answer your question http://www.dogsvets.net/articles/flea_co...

No comments:

Post a Comment